Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help a young welder with options (BC)
- - By FloydH19 Date 08-25-2016 02:40
Hey guys, Floyd here (Canada)
quick little run down of me: Finished C level course in spring, and currently apprenticing at a local shop. FCAW all positions, Metal Fabrication level 1 endorsement. Very confiedent in my capability, and I LOVE to weld. Got offered a seat in the B ticket course (pressure ticket) in January so I am counting down the days!

I just turned 20 and am doing all that it takes, to become certified RedSeal. currently being an apprentice, I am trying to get my homework done for pipeline companies in B.C as I cannot work in another province yet. I would obviously love to weld anywhere in the world.

Does anybody have any knowledge on the Current Pipeline Industry in B.C? (northern gateway pipeline etc.) and where it would be heading? Or where to get jobs with a Pressure ticket? I hear alot of talk about the Baby-boomers soon retiring, but haven't seen much openings (I know the oil price sucks atm).

I am trying to secure some good ideas for an apprentice like myself who has big dreams and the motivation to make it happen. Where do I branch off too?What do I specialize in? welding engineer? or inspector? my foreman said that there aren't much jobs for CWI inspectors unless you are already taken on upon from a company to specifically be one. I love to weld and there is always so much to learn that's why it interests me so much.

There might not be a point to this post for some of you, I'm just a young welder trying to figure out options and the best possibilities out there. I've always wanted to work in this industry, and I don't think i'll ever leave, ANY advice on Welding in Canada, or how I could even end up welding in the U.S or foreign countries, would be Greatly appreciated

Cheers
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-25-2016 04:02
I haven't seen many of the Canadian guys around here for a while, hopefully they still check in and will see this to offer some local help.  Welding is a great choice of career.  Many opportunities.  Inspections as a CWI takes 5 years of experience if you have the right educational background.  Otherwise it could be longer.  Of course, that is stateside as an AWS/CWI.  Not sure what the CWB takes in that regard. 

For now, keep going.  Get all you can.  Regardless of the course you eventually take it will help you along the way.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By FloydH19 Date 09-16-2016 23:11
Hey Brent computer just got fixed, thanks for the info I know that I am young and will just keep going with it. I I'll be happy wherever welding takes me as I love the industry, and yes this forum is awesome for information I'm trying to take in as much as I can

Cheers,
Floyd
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-17-2016 13:10
Have you contacted your local chapters of the CWA for this information (Vancouver or Okanogan)? Even the Calgary chapter would be likely to have more current information regarding the Northern Gateway than the AWS, since many of the hiring companies are located there. Also, CWB schools, which you are apparently attending, usually have people who are required to stay up to date on hiring and career information.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help a young welder with options (BC)