Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D14.3 Qualifiaction
- - By GMI Kyle (*) Date 08-25-2016 17:31
As I was thumbing though the D14.3 code, I noticed an interesting note on Table 9 Welder Qualification Tests

The note states "Welders qualified in accordance with AWS D1.1, Structural Welding Code -  Steel, or Section IX, ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, shall be considered qualified to this specification within the limitations of 7.2."

So, if I have a welder already qualified to D1.1, then he is also qualified to D14.3 (within the limitation of 7.2, which to me are the same things said in D1.1)?

What are the differences between these codes, besides the prequalified joints and base metal and electrode classifications??
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-25-2016 21:43
Mainly their scope of application: Structural Steel as in buildings compared with Heavy Equipment as in earthmovers, log stackers, dozers, etc.  (I hope I have the correct D14 in mind when I say that)

The equipment needs more care in some areas similar to what is supplied in D1.8 for Seismic in addition to D1.1. 

Also, D1.1 was originally the base code for many others that while they have been made more of a stand along code for their application still highly resemble D1.1 in many areas as welder qualification. 

Brent
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-26-2016 12:13
Your quote is from the 2005 edition of D14.3.

The most recent, or 2010 edition expands on this to say that welders qualified to AWS QC7 at an ATF, along with "...or other standards acceptable to the Manufacturer may be considered qualified within the limits of 8.2.2."
(8.2.2 is the WPQR essential variables from AWS B2.1, with a couple additions like recognizing that GMAW transfer modes, Spray , SC , pulse are separate processes when it comes to qualification.)

The upcoming 201X version will expand further to include ISO 9606-1.

The differences between D1.1 and D14.3 are that D1.1 is the base code and D14.3 is a specification.
As a spec, D14.3 includes additional design and welding requirements that affect mobile equipment and associated ROPS (Roll Over Protective Systems), while excluding most all of the building related stuff.

On a side note, I'm happy to say that D14.3 includes requirements that D1.1 is starting to leave out and which are giving it the non-flattering nickname "The New Farm Code".

Don't forget that when using D14.3, you must also use D14.4: Specification for the Design of Welded Joints in Machinery and Equipment, for design considerations.

Tim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D14.3 Qualifiaction