Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS/CSWIP WI/SCWI Certification and Dimensional Inspection
- - By Nalla (***) Date 08-31-2016 14:39
Dear Sirs

One of my Sub-Contractor claim that Certified WI / SCWI also qualified and certified to perform Dimensional Inspection ( not just weldment dimensions) and authorized to Issue Dim. Reports

For example- Fabricated spool- Elevations,Length,Flange Orientation...etc.

My understanding is WI/SCWI only qualified and certified perform  welding Inspections in reference to appl codes, spec and drawings only

Pls advise
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-31-2016 16:24
Good morning Nalla,

Everything involved with the previous experience and testing of the exams would entail all information needed for a person with a CWI or SCWI to show ability to perform Dimensional Examinations as well.  In many ways, that is indeed a part of an inspectors job and especially if it is written into the Contract or Employment Documents/Job Description. 

Now, if I were hiring a contractor or employee for that responsibility I would want to do additional testing to make sure they can actually read erection plan sets, shop drawings, know about bolting, and many other issues.  Even if they, as I, have several other certifications besides their CWI.  Those items are not actually part of the Certification Testing nor CWI requirements under QC1 or B5.1.  But, it would be part of doing dimensional examination. 

So, I would say they can be qualified, and really should be, but not necessarily certified; not with just a CWI or SCWI anyway.  The area you mention, Fabricated Spools, that may be a reach for the average CWI.  Not as much for an SCWI but still, how many people know how to read those plans and do dimensionals? 

Bottom line, it comes down to the job and the individual inspector, not the certification.

Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 08-31-2016 20:48
Nalla

This is entirely up to your clients discretion and only limited by the bottom criteria of whichever code you are contracted to.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-31-2016 19:53
One of the ASME pressure piping code recognizes the CWI and SCWI for visual inspection of pipe. Which piping code, I'm not recollecting for the moment.

Al
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 09-01-2016 03:16
Dear Sirs
Client  QA Exhibits Directive calls for-
Dimensional control inspectors – for executing dimensional control in mechanical,plate work and piping, machine erection and industrial topography areas, shall be qualified and certified by the Brazilian System of Qualification and Certification of Personnel in NDT ( ABENDI )according to standard ABENDI NA-008, or by independent international entities complying with the requirements of standards DIN EN 45013 or ISO/IEC 17024, in this case is required previous approval by Client;

As a Certified WI, it my fundamental responsibility as min. to ensure before releasing a weld joint to proceed with welding-
1- Weld Joint Preparation in accordance with WPS & Approved Engineering Drawing
2- Mat Grade, Thickness,
3- Fabrication/Assembly Dimensions such as Length, Breadth, Orientation, Elevations, Levelness...etc.

Through OJT, I'm trained on item 3 but never undergone any specific Examination to be Certified as Dimensional Inspector. Moreover Client witnessed MockUp Test and "accepted " my competence. But Client insist that i  cannot issue and sign-off any Dimensional Reports. Client consider my reports as Preliminary Reports which shall be verified by Qualified and Certified Dimensional Inspector.

To my knowledge, in Asia Region no such indepedant International Entities complying with the requirements of standards DIN EN 45013 or ISO/IEC 17024 provide such Training and Certification Program.

If have, please provide the access.

Thanks in advance
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-01-2016 03:49
So, they are asking for a "Certification" that exists to codes such as ISO through a testing organization of some kind that we are not familiar with here.

I don't know who handles that one.  Sorry. 

Hopefully one of the others has heard of it.  Maybe Joey, Glyn (46.0), Al,...

Good luck.

Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-01-2016 23:15
Nalla,

EN 45013 has been superseded and more or less replaced by ISOEN 17024, If your client is insisting on this then you will need to buy a copy.  The asian version is SNI ISO /IEC 17024. You will need to follow this document to prove your certification.
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 09-02-2016 00:12
Dear Sirs
For Example TWI, IIW.AWS  entities operate in accordance with BS EN ISO/IEC 17024 but does not offer any specific Training and Certification on Dimension Control.

Pls let me know if  any other Entities operate in compliance with BS EN ISO/IEC 17024  in Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand offer such Course and Certification.

Thanks
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 09-08-2016 04:48
Boss

What is the difference between the following:-

1. Dimensional Controller vs Dimensional Inspector

2. Welding Controller vs Welding Inspector

Maybe the answer is written in the QA/QC Manual.

If there is such requirement, all those fitters involved in cutting & dimensional operations must be qualified, same as those tack welders. And all those manufacturer of tools and equipment to be used for measurement, must have representative qualified too :lol::grin:
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-09-2016 22:18
Valid arguments, I'm sure the answers are in the relevant ISO documents. Buy them and see!
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 09-11-2016 14:30
Dear Joey
My understanding
Dimensional/Welding Conroller - Qualified via Company's/Employer's  OJT Program excluding any Independent  3rd Party Examination /Certifications.
Diemsional Inspector/Welding Inspectors most likely qualified via OJT and undergone 3rd Party Course and Examinations.
Once passed the Examination  Respective 3rd Part Independent Entity such AWS/TWI will Certify the candidate
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 09-13-2016 10:43
Nalla, In the countries that you mentioned, based on my experienced, the common practice in the steel fabrication is to invite the TPI or Owner Rep to witness or verify the dimensions taken by Contractor's QC.

The Contractor's QC will issue a request for inspection (RFI) after he/she accepted the dimensions. Below are sample steps:

1) RFI issued.

2) TPI arrived, and asked for QC Reports for review.

3) TPI reviewed the QC Reports against the drawing details or approved QC report form. There must be a pre approved dimensional inspection report, which indicated the critical dimensions that required to measure.

4) TPI satisfied with the contents of QC Report, when all dimensional readings are in order.

5) TPI asked for random verification. QC to perform the measurement in accordance with the approved procedure, while the TPI witness, reads and compare the actual dimensions against the QC Report.

6) ACCEPT & Sign- if TPI satisfied with the accuracy of QC Report.

7) REJECT & Sign - if TPI found inaccuracy in QC Report.

Another arrangement is by engaging a qualified surveyor.

If the TPI is engaged by Contractor, the TPI will have to do all the pre agreed measurement needed as per contract agreement. This people are normally called qualified surveyor, they have the license issued by the Board. You will find this people in Oil & Gas plant doing settlement measurement of equipment, or in building structures or in tower crane inspection etc.

I think the asnwer to your original question may be found in the Project Specification / or approved ITP (Inspection & Test Plan).
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 09-17-2016 13:38
Dear Joey
Yes, that's how normally handled in Spore,Malaysia, China...etc
In this Particular Contract Quality Exhibit, it is mandatory to have Qualified and Certifed Dim.Inspectors
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 09-20-2016 10:04
Malaysia boleh!:grin::lol:
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS/CSWIP WI/SCWI Certification and Dimensional Inspection