Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NDT certifications
- - By JohnLinson Date 09-07-2016 13:51
Hello my name is John. I have been a CWI for 4 years. After getting my CWI i thought things would be downhill obtaining a job but it wasn't so. I was tower climbing/welding at a decent salary of 65k a year. I looked for various jobs as an inspector, but everyone wants 5 years or more. I ended up taking a break for a
Year in Australia climbing and welding on cell towers. Now at 31 i want to talk inspecting seriously. I am enrolled to take API 570 chasing pipeline work. My question is it worth investing in NDT training on my own or not. I found it strange that after paying for the training you wont even get the certification. They said the company you work for certifies you. My current occupation is welding i can put it under my own company name and then write a procedure for certifying myself. I find this whole process strange. I just want to persue a career. I am willing to pay for UT,PT,MT to the nth degree if needed. The woman at  PQT tells me lots of people are involved in this vicious cycle of not being able to get experience because no one will hire without but you need to get experience to get  hired.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-07-2016 14:02
It is happening all over the place and across all industries.

NDT is difficult because each one takes hundreds of hours of hands on experience UNDER a Level II.  You can get the book/classroom easy enough, it's the hands on that's a problem and won't happen over night.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 09-07-2016 17:34
CWIs are being produced by the thousands every year. Competition is getting stiff. Way more certs than positions available.
Lots of overseas positions are out there, but I aint going 1/2 way cross the planet to Libya, Oman, Emirates or other M/E deserts for $6K a month. Oh, and they STILL want "x"# of years of experience.
If you want pipeline work, Get your NACE first (Level I will suffice and get your resume noticed) and then more API is the way to approach this in lieu of experience.
Breaking into NDE is going to be a cut in pay as you would be a "Go-fer" until the hundreds/thousands of hands on hours accumulate for your level II.

Realistically, pipeline is a tight knit club in the best of times. Not trying to dissuade you and burst your "dream", but you most likely have a long, tough row to hoe to simply jump on the Right of Way with only a CWI and no brother-in-law that's a Project Manager to hire you.
You might want to try other industries such as Power Plants, Chemical and Refinery overhauls. These can pay in excess of $4K a week for 1 - 2 month gigs.

Finding QA/QC jobs is an "Art" in and of itself........
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-07-2016 20:21 Edited 09-07-2016 20:26
Our industry is like many others, it is a case of being in the right place at the right time with the proper credentials.

Many years ago, when I was still putting food on the table by burning electrode, I took courses that made little sense to those I worked with. However, when the time came and the opportunity presented itself, I had the training and the credentials they were looking for.

You have to prepare for the future without knowing exactly what the future has to offer. That fact alone make's life complicated. Very few of us have a crystal ball to predict the future, but if one pays attention, we can see the direction life is taking us. We all have to start somewhere and it is usually at the bottom of the pecking order. There are dues to be paid and if one is interested in making a lateral move, we need to be ready and willing.

When I earned my first degree I would have had to take a 50% cut in pay, I stayed with the welding helmet and kept food on the table and a roof over the family's head. When the opportunity arose, I was ready. The nay-sayers had their fun saying I was wasting my time taking classes all the time, but I looked at the long term prospects and I think everything has turned out pretty much the way I planned it.

What courses did I take? NDT (PT, MT, UT, and RT), structural engineering, and every evening course I could squeeze in. I made it a point not to become too specialized so that I could move in the direction that offered the greatest opportunity. Even as a CWI, I have been careful not to become too specialized. I have endorsements in several welding standards, again, so I am prepared when the opportunity avails itself.

The CWI is a great credential, but it is only a starting point.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-08-2016 03:13
Really well stated advice Al
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-08-2016 04:28
Thanks Lawrence

Al
Parent - By JohnLinson Date 09-13-2016 13:46
Thanks for the advice. I have even considered going back to school for mechanical engineering. I own a house near Ucf so it would be easy at this point of my life. I think i will try a few NDT certs see where it goes and make a decision from there. I think it is a good point not to over specialize as you mentioned.
Parent - - By JohnLinson Date 09-15-2016 10:14
Al,
   Did you say you earned an engineering degree?
This is something i have the opportunity to do. When i was making good money i bought an investment house near a university. I am financially able to do it. I just don't know if certifications will be enough on their own. I have  2 associates degrees already.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-15-2016 12:46
No, I do not have a BS in engineering.

If you have the time, energy, and money to earn the BS in engineering, by all means do so. However, you need to have a long range plan. What do you intend to do with that degree? What field of engineering are you pursuing?

I made it a point to diversify my education and my work. Every industrial sector has business cycles, each has lean years as well as years of plenty. I make it a point to work with several industrial sectors to ensure my work doesn't suffer because of the cyclic nature of business. That tends to normalize my income and work load. Versatility is the secret to long term success if putting food on the table and a roof over your head is success.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By JohnLinson Date 09-15-2016 10:22
Superflux,
                  I am basically willing to go anywhere for decent money and the experience i need to make a better career for myself. I climbed towers and did structural mods across the U.S. for 5 years 80hrs a week on per diem (no life).Then i took a year off to travel i didn't work for 8 months. I got to work in Australia and get some international work in telecommunications as well. I've been on the road and i can handle a few more years if i get the opportunity.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NDT certifications