Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln Rapid X
- - By Tyrone (***) Date 09-08-2016 12:08
Hey guys,
The Lincoln Reps were here presenting their Rapid X process.
They claim increased travel speeds by 40%, increased penetration, reduced heat input, reduced distortion....etc

Anyone here have any practical experience with this process?

Tyrone
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-08-2016 13:08
Increased travel speeds compared to what?

Increased penetration compared to what?

The advantage gained by Rapid X is a significantly shorter arc length "relative to traditional spray transfer or typical GMAWP"

A shorter arc length can help reduce fillet size at a given wire feed speed, which in turn can allow faster travel from point A to point B and also can allow for higher WFS sometimes which will accentuate the first effect.

It is designed primarily for fillets in carbon steels. 

It also can be run vertical down on some thinner materials, which is particularly favorable in automated welding, not so much manually.

I would say why not invite the Lincoln guys back and set up a number of fillets.  Get out your stop watch and your macro etch kit and have them prove the 40%.

Faster travel speeds and correct weld size can be a key to all kinds of savings and quality improvements...   But keep in mind Tyrone... Sometimes the same thing can be accomplished with well thought out process controls on older traditional equipment...  It's just that most weld managers don't bother to do it.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 09-08-2016 13:18 Edited 09-08-2016 13:57
Hi Tyrone,

I worked with Lincoln's Automation Lab a while back, qualifying steel sheet metal fillet and flare bevel groove robotic weld procedures with Rapid Arc and Rapid X.
We were making 3mm welds, using .045 and .052 dia ER70S-3.
Horizontal travel speeds averaged 45 IPM.
45 degree vertical downhill travel speeds maxed out at 70 IPM.
We could have went faster, but I was purposely using a wire diameter width root opening, and demanding a perfect, reliable profile.

So, all in all, Lincoln Powerwave weld equipment and Fanuc robots make a good team, but replicating perfect condition lab results in a shop with variables is a whole different challenge. When I was in the Lab, I was told "Sure, no problem, let us know when your ready in the shop and I'll come out and help make it work." However, when that day came, I was left high and dry, lied to and cheated. (long story I don't want to get into here...)

Does the equipment work well? Yup.
But be very careful with Lincoln's sales rep bullsquirt.

Tim
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 09-12-2016 11:44
Thanks Lawrence/Tim,
I'll see if our Axcess 450 can replicate the Rapid X wave form.  I don't want to spend big bucks unnecessarily.
Tyrone
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 09-12-2016 11:56
AccuPulse can do anything Rapid X can and Rapid Arc can.
What's even better is the new VersaPulse.

Tim
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln Rapid X