Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Strain-ageing
- - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-01-2003 15:48
Has anyone experience strain-age embrittlement on thick plates (3" (75mm)or greater) in the HAZ? No cold working was done on our plates, so it would all have to come from the welding. We are trying to determine if this is a possible cause of low HAZ tougness values for some testing we are currently doing to qualify some base metal at high and low heat input, and we only have the low values at the low heat input, which is reverse of most experiences.

Thanks.
Parent - - By colins (*) Date 05-01-2003 16:35
Groberts,

Have you done any sectioning and metallography of the HAZ area ? Take a look at the different phases which have developed, this should allow you to corelate to the temperature gradient ?

Colin
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-01-2003 16:52
Yes we have. We have examined the HAZ at up to 1000x on an optical microscope, but were not able to find anthing that would be detrimental. The Iron-nitrides that are supposed to form for strain-ageing though pile up at dislocations, so would be even hard to detect with an SEM. There does not seem to be any martensite, and the plate chemistry would not lend itself to that either. (.075C, .2Cr, .2Mo, 1 Ni, 1 Mn). There is also very low Nb (.002 typ.) and V (.005 typ.) so secondary hardening (carbide precipitation) shouldn't be a problem either. (and the coarse ones that would inihibit toughness can show up in optical microscopy also). Since there is low Cr and Mo, and no PWHT, there should be no temper embrittlement either. I don't know of any other phenomenon that would happen in this type of steel (especially in the intercritical/subcritical HAZ), but there could be others I am not familiar with.
Parent - - By smithdos (*) Date 05-01-2003 17:33
What is the material type?

What type of NDT discrepancy are you having?

Why do you think it's strain aging?

Inquiring minds want to know.......

Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-01-2003 19:00
Smithdos,

The material type is low alloy 50 min YS steel which is for structual offshore steel work. It is not covered by an ASTM specification. Each oil company usually has thier own specification to cover these applications.

We did UT to determine if their were any welding defect, but did not find anything in the HAZ. Some specimens that had poor toughness did show evidence of influence from a welding defect, but those results were discarded.

At this point, strain age embrittlement is the only thing I know about that makes sense with our results to date.

I am pasting in a document below that I wrote this morning to summarize the thoughts on strain-ageing so far for your interest. Even though Linnert's comments included below pertain to weld metal, it should be equally valid for the HAZ, and seem to be the most applicable to my particular situation.

Strain-ageing info

Strain ageing looks like a potential candidate for why our toughness is low. This is especially true since the low heat input tests got the worst results, contradictory to most experiences in CTOD testing. The low heat input test would also have the most strain between the two tests (of the high heat input test and low heat input test.) If the joint size is equal, the higher number of passes, along with the lower preheat would give greater strain of the low heat input test would produce more strain than the high heat input test. To tie up the nitrogen, a ratio of 3.42 to 1 is considered good for Ti, and for aluminum, 2 to 1 is a ballpark figure thrown out a lot. We didn’t have enough of either according to those ratios since we were only worried for the most part about the oxygen, which doesn’t seem to be a problem.

Below is a summary of what I found.

J.F. Lancaster in Metallurgy of Welding says, “If there is a pre-existing crack in the steel around the crack tip may suffer strain age (cracking). This situation can arise, for example, if during one run of weld hydrogen cracks form in the HAZ. A subsequent run may plastically deform the original HAZ and, at the same time, heat the crack tip in the temperature range (~200C) where strain ageing is relatively rapid. IN the absence of a crack there may also be a moderate degree of strain ageing embrittlement. This type of ageing is associated with the presence of free nitrogen in the steel, and may be mitigated by adding nitride-formers such as aluminum.”

Linnert in Welding Metallurgy volume 2, says “The most annoying effect of PWHT is the embrittlement which has been observed in some varieties of law-alloy steel weld metal. Even the amount of restraint which the joint offers to the cooling weld metal will affect the mechanical properties. Usually the notch toughness of the weld metal is reduced by higher restraint. This effect is attributed to strain aging of the weld metal during cooling. The adverse effect upon the level of notched-bar impact strength and transition temperature can be quite significant in highly restrained joints welded with low heat input (which consequently undergo rapid cooling).”

Another study published online ran CVN tests on material that did not meet a certain project specification because the aluminum/nitrogen ratio was below 2. The strained the material 0.5%, 1.5%, and 3.0%. The material met the specification for CVN values, but the values dropped from around 200ft-lb average to a lower number that still met the 35 ft-lb requirement (figure referenced for actual values was not available). The values actually increased though for strains of 0.5% and 1.5%, but dropped at the 3% strain.

Another online source says, “Strain-age embrittlement is caused by cold working of certain steels, mainly low carbon, followed by ageing at temperatures less than 600C or by warm working steels below 600C. All structural steels may become embrittled to some extent. The extent of embrittlement depends on the amount of strain, time at ageing temperature and steel composition, particularly nitrogen content. Elements that are known to tie up nitrogen in the form of nitrides are useful in limiting the effects of strain ageing. These elements include aluminum, vanadium, titanium, niobium, and boron.”

The best description of the actual cause of strain-age embrittlement I found was from a welding engineer at gowelding.com. This is also the only information I found regarding the quantity of nitrogen required to make strain-ageing happen. He says, “This phenomenon applies to carbon and low alloy steel. It involves ferrite forming a compound with nitrogen; iron-nitride (Fe4N). Temperatures around 250°C, will cause a fine precipitation of this compound to occur. It will tend to pin any dislocations in the structure that has been created by cold work or plastic deformation. Strain ageing increases tensile strength but significantly reduces ductility and toughness. Modern steels tend to have low nitrogen content, but this is not necessarily true for welds. Sufficient Nitrogen, approximately 1 to 2 ppm, can be easily picked up from the atmosphere during welding. Weld root runs are particularly at risk because of high contraction stresses causing plastic deformation. This is why impact test specimens taken from the root or first pass of a weld can give poor results. Additions of Aluminum can tie up the Nitrogen as Aluminum Nitride, but weld-cooling rates are too fast for this compound to form successfully. Stress relief at around 650 degrees C will resolve the problem. “

Descriptions of strain age testing all involve straining the material 3-10%, with 5% being the most common. One test procedure recommends compression strain, but tensile is permitted also. The material is then heated to 250C (482F) for ½ to several hours, one hour being common, as most info says strain ageing happens relatively fast at that temperature. Then charpy tests are taken from the strain aged specimen and compared to normal base material.
Parent - - By arcblue (*) Date 05-01-2003 20:51
[deleted]
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-01-2003 22:19
We were thinking about doing those next, but haven't gotten that far yet. Do you know what method people normally use to strain the specimens?
Parent - - By arcblue (*) Date 05-02-2003 13:24
[deleted]
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-02-2003 14:30
We are still in the qualification stage, but of course, production is being delayed. The only strain involved, which Linnert and Lancaster seem to think is enought to cause strain-age embrittlement, is from the shrinking of the weld in a highly restrained joint.
The info I have read on strain ageing it says that it happens fairly quickly from Nitrides piling up at dislocation sites, since nitrogen is fairly diffusible being an interstitial element. Do you have information indicating a different mechanism? The embrittling constituents migrating to the grain boundarie sounds a lot like temper embrittlement.
Parent - - By arcblue (*) Date 05-02-2003 15:11
[deleted]
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-02-2003 20:00
Here is a little more background info:

The plates are cast material (rules out rolling at the mill) with the following composition:
C = .072
Mn = 1.05
Si = .35
P = .005
S <.001
Mo = .21
Cr = .20
Ni = 1.16
Al = .008
V = .005
Cu = .17
Ti = .004
N = 62 ppm
O = 46 ppm
They are normalized to reduce segregation, then austenitized, quanched and tempered.
To qualify the plate, we have to do CTOD tests at 14F (-10C) in the coarse grain HAZ and the etched HAZ boundary (border between the sub-critical and inter-critical HAZ) and get .015" minimum value. This is our first time trying to qualify material. The first test we did we ended up with Martensite islands, so we dropped the carbon and added a little more Mn and Ni to make up the hardenablity. We also added a little Ti to help produce Ti nitrides, but we didn't get as much as we wanted. So on this current heat of material, we have good results at both locations in the high heat input test, and bad results in the low heat input test at both locations. Evaluations of the coarse grain specimens from the low heat input test seem to indicate that the weld metal may have been involved with the lower values, but nothing I have found can explain the low values in the low heat input test sub critical/inter critical test area except for strain ageing, since that should be the location affected most by that phenomena. Coupled with the fact that the Ti content was lower than we wanted, could have produced free nitrogen, which promotes strain-age embrittlement. We have done CTS testing on this alloy too, but did not have any problems there with no preheat and low heat input, but that heat would probably have had more Aluminum (Nitrogen scavenger).

My e-mail address on my profile is probably about 2 years old, so I updated it.

Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-14-2003 23:16
If anyone is interested, we did some testing and it does point to a strain-age problem.

We did 3 sets of CVN tests on the material in question and these are the results at -40F:

No Strain & No Age:
226, 151, & 143 ft-lb
(173 ft-lb average)

Strained 5% & No Age:
32, 154, & 105 ft-lb
(97 ft-lb average)

Strained 5% & Aged at 450F for 2 hours:
28, 43, & 9 ft-lb
(26 ft-lb average)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-15-2003 14:28
GR,
Something looks funny with the numbers at 5% w/ no age. There is a 32ft#s number that is considerably different from the other two numbers. I'm just curious why the one number is so low compared to the other two numbers. It brings your average down quite a bit for that catagory. If that number is 132ft#s your average goes from 97ft#s, up to 130.3333ft#s.
I don't completely understand all of the metallurgy in this post, but it sure is interesting to see how that data stacks up after the material is subjected to those variables. How did you go about straining the materials? The aging I think I have a handle on.
Curiously interested,
John Wright
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-15-2003 14:34
I did examine the face of the fracture for the specimen with the low value, but there did not appear to be anything abnormal. Sometimes high scatter can be experienced with toughness tests when the material is close to the area of the toughness transition curve with a high slope. For straining, we just took an oversized tensile specimens and strained thme 5% in a universal testing machine, then machined CVN samples out of them.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Strain-ageing