Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Lincoln Electric Co
- - By Paladin (***) Date 09-22-2016 03:14
I wanted to ask someone at Lincoln Electric Co  a question about the  Lincoln wire NR233.
After typing out  my question, I found I HAD to agree to allow Lincoln to spread my personal information as they see fit just to submit my simple little questions.

This is what you have to check (a box that you agree) to make the email go to Lincoln.

"I agree to allow The Lincoln Electric Company, headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, and its subsidiaries, to process my personal data for marketing and promotion of its services and products. At the same time I authorize Lincoln Electric Company to forward my personal data to other Lincoln Electric Holding companies for the purposes indicated above."

I don't think one should have to agree to this just to ask question. I don't like it.

Floyd
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-22-2016 15:10
Send me a PM if you don't get the answer you need and I will hook you up with a real person with a real email address.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-14-2016 18:58
I agree Floyd, already delete spam in my inbox two to three times a day, random phone calls from people that think I need what they are selling!

What are you looking for on the NR233? I've run a bit of that I believe.
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 10-16-2016 13:17 Edited 10-16-2016 13:21
The question was of no great importance. I was just curious.
On the Procedures for NR-233, I noticed that the deposition rate and amperage at their lowest suggestion
was LOWER for the 0.72 than for the 1/16 wire.
Why would that be?

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/global/Products/Consumable_Flux-CoredWires-Self-Shielded-Innershield-InnershieldNR-233/c320003.pdf

I was looking at different wires to suit my needs, installations of columns and beams in new house construction, mostly.
I have uses NR 211 0.45 and it was OK. I try to pre fab everything in my shop with GMAW. In the field SMAW seems so slow.

I keep hearing about the NR 233 and tried the 0.72. Works pretty good.
But 0.072 seemed a little much ( for my experience level) on the usual 1/4 inch wall tubing.
Any gaps ( my fits don't have gaps, Im talking about fill a connection at the  rounded edge of larger tubing, right?) and I start wishing for GMAW and no wind.

I did call and after being handed off a few times talked with someone that pretty much said the 1/16 just ran better at that lowest setting. And the 0.072 ran acceptable at its lowest (recommended) setting.

The Lincoln tech suggested I stick with NR 211 if the seismic qualities are not required. So far we are not prone to earthquakes here in Central Texas.

I have a roll of 0.062 in the suitcase ready for an install later this week.

Oh yea, I wish all those wires came in a 12 lbs rolls. Who wants to lug a suitcase all around with a 25 or 40 lbs roll of wire.
And I would rather put on a fresh roll than have the same 25 lbs roll around for a year or two.

Floyd
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-16-2016 16:22
That is odd that it is lower. Must be something to do with amperage/voltage or something...????

The NR211 I have used many times and is comparable to Hobart Fabshield 21b and Esab Coreshield 11. If you're ever in a pinch those run very similar to the NR211 and from what I've learned have about the same properties. I have used a ton of this stuff, probably literally. Seems the Lincoln spattered less, going by the burns on my legs and arms as a comparison.

The NR233 from my experience is similar to Hobart XLR-8 and Esab Coreshield 8. Properties, again, from what I've learned all seem to be fairly similar if I remember correctly. I have not run a lot of the NR233 but have run a bunch of the Hobart XLR-8. When you get that stuff set right it is dreamy! Slag will literally get blown off by the wind and leaves a glass smooth finish. The slag is heavier, much heavier than the NR211 and similar so running horizontal and overhead fillets and horizontals can be tricky. It takes a bit of trigger time to get the hang of it but the deposition rates are phenomenal. Fabshield 21b on the highest all position numbers for 1/16th wire is 3.2lbs per hour. XLR-8, 1/16th, highest all position setting for voltage is 6.3lbs per hour. I use this frequently when out rambling around the country or on bid jobs where I need to get in and get out to maximize profits.

I've used the XLR-8(NR233 equivalent) on 6-8" pipe legs, 1-1-1/2" flanges down to 2 inch solid legs. When we get into thinner stuff I drop down to the Fabshield 21b(NR211) in an .045. Running that bigger wire on a thin wall pipe leg vertical gets a bit spooky.

Filling in with the XLR-8/NR233 on flat fillets is outstanding. I did a sign not to long ago where they added stiffeners(12) all around a 42" pipe leg. The center plate was way undersized we believe because it was sinking in the center. I used the XLR-8. They had everything cut square but where the plate set horizontally there was a 1/4-3/8" gap or better. It worked amazingly well at filling up these.

I can't recall specifics and I usually am running well over 100ft of wire(2/0) with the 1/16th. I connect what I will need as far as lead then play around on some scrap while checking my suitcase meter to obtain the voltage I want. XLR-8 I typically run around 21-22v's and believe 23v's is the highest recommended. Wire feed speeds 190's to 250's provide the best results. On the NR211, 1/16th the voltages are much lower as is the wfs. Mine is typically run around 17-19v's at the suitcase and wfs 75-100 range. Seems every time I hook up it's slightly different than the time before. Some days I refer to it as a fire breathing dragon. Lays in perfect, stacks perfect and you just fly thru. One job I was catching up to the guys hanging steel and I actually had to take a day off for them to get ahead of me. Then I still caught up to them.

I prefer mine set on the higher end of the recommendations, Hobart, Lincoln, Esab and I have run miles and miles and miles of this stuff. 1/16th in my opinion is a great mid range size. The .072 although not much larger I personally have not had a need for. For me it means probably jumping up to 3/0 lead and that means mucho $$$$. Most of the guys I talk to doing what I do run an 045 wire and when I tell them I'm running a 1/16th because it doubles the deposition rate they say, "hmm, we'll have to check into that". Can do a lot with it between the two different types of wires I've mentioned but sometimes you just need to drop down a notch to the .045". I only buy the 33lb spools. Last job I did I went thru 5 of them so a 12lb roll for me would be a nightmare. I have 10lb spools of a Hobart X80 I use for grade 65 material, certain jobs require the 80,000psi wire. The Hobart I didn't much care for so got some triple nickel from Lincoln I have yet to try.

Maybe I answered a question or provided some sort of information,

Shawn
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Lincoln Electric Co