Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Porosity Specification in the Book Of Specs
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 09-27-2016 12:48
Hello all-
Getting ready for the CWI test next month without taking the review class and I could use a little help on a couple of questions, if I may?

This question is on the  1 Jan 2016 version BOS, Table 1, Visual Inspection Acceptance Criteria regarding porosity.
The table reads as follows:

(8) Porosity
(A) CJP groove welds in butt joints transverse to the direction of computed tensile stress shall have no visible porosity. For all other groove welds and for fillet welds, the sum of the visible porosity 1/32 inch or greater in diameter shall not exceed 3/8 inch in any linear inch of weld.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
(B) The frequency of porosity in fillet welds shall not exceed one in each 4 in of weld length and the maximum diameter shall not exceed 3/32 inch. Exception: for fillet welds connecting stiffeners to web, the sum of the diameters of porosity shall not exceed 3/8 inch in any linear inch of weld.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
(C) CJP groove welds in butt joints transverse to the direction of computed tensile stress shall have no porosity. For all other groove welds, the frequency of porosity shall not exceed one in 4 inches of length and the maximum diameter shall not exceed 3/32 inch.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Question #1 – am I correct to presume the test question will provide information on the "direction of computed tensile stress" ?  or will we have to compute tensile stress and identify the direction ourselves? 

Question #2 -   the BOS table 1 requirement (A) states, "no visible porosity" for butt joints; well what does "no visible” mean?  The second sentence states 1/32” as a chargeable minimum size applied to all other groove and fillet welds  -  is the test taker expected to use this mention of  1/32” as the low limit of what they mean by “no visible porosity” for butt welds also?  So I guess I am really asking how will a typical Part B question read which requires judgment of  "no visible porosity".

Question #3 – similar to question 2, BOS table 1 requirements (B) & (C) for cyclical and tubular joints also requires consideration of porosity counts where no minimum size is offered. These two requirements don’t even allow a notional limit of “visible” as an unidentified minimum so is it reasonable or expected to reach back to the 1/32” minimum size listed in (A) ?

Thank you for reading and any time or advice that is offered.
Regards,
Tom C
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-27-2016 13:40
You have brass testicles to take the new part B examination without attending the AWS seminar my friend.

No visible porosity means just that, no visible porosity if the weld is transverse to the computed tensile load.

In all other cases, any porosity that measure 1/32 inch in diameter and larger must be summed. If the sum of the diameters exceeds a specified limit, the weld is unacceptable.

Al
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 09-27-2016 19:25
Brass ? now you're scaring me Al ! my confidence has been shaken.  What makes the new Part B so much more difficult than previous?

Regarding the minimum porosity size,  for the "no visible" circumstance are we likely to see test samples with 1/64" porosity and even porosity of .001" size or less that we'll have to account for?

Tom C.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-27-2016 19:42
New samples with great fidelity, a new book of specifications, a new book of exhibits, all together, a much better test than we had previously.

I participated in the Beta examinations and I can say with a degree of certainty that this is one examination that would be a struggle for new inspectors and CWI candidate because of the time limitations.

Al
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 09-27-2016 18:37
The question is posed as a scenario and no calculations are necessary. The QC1 CWI exam is an inspection exam not an engineering exam.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Porosity Specification in the Book Of Specs