Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Robot MIG spatter spray
- - By illmaniac123 (*) Date 09-27-2016 15:19
My job is running short arc on a few robots and spatter is an issue getting on threaded bosses. We put a copper cap on top but spatter clings to the base and sometimes pops under the cap onto the bottom threads. We use Chemtool spatter spray but it does not seem to make any difference on resisting spatter sticking or making removal easier. I am needing the operator to try to change settings to reduce the spatter but does anyone have a good spatter spray to protect tubes and bosses when welding? Needing something in a job shop size operation.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-27-2016 16:29
Sounds like you have done everything but address the process which is out of control.

Spatter free GMAW, even with short circuiting transfer is totally doable.

Spend once and get somebody who knows something about Robotic GMAW to solve your spatter issue.

Or

Spend forever on countermeasures to deal with an out of control process.
Parent - By bumble Date 09-28-2016 19:29
i totaly agree dial it in correctly and the splatter will all but vanish
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 09-28-2016 19:49
Spatter spray is a good way to avoid fixing the root cause issue by throwing money at it, but when absolutely necessary, I recommend:

https://www.walter.com/products/-/producttradename/welding/anti-spatter/e-weld-4

Tim
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-06-2016 17:12
Everyone has given you good advice on fixing the problem not making a better bandaid.

For the record this is by far the best anti spatter spray I have ever used loctite  SF7900  https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0851224  But it's pricey.

Dial in the parameters and you should be good.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Robot MIG spatter spray