Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / ASME IX guided bend test, thin sheet material.
- - By sgcengineering Date 09-29-2016 08:25
Dear all,

I have a Client requirement to qualify our welding procedures to ASME IX, this is no problem usually as we are very experienced with the code. Problem we have is that we are welding very thin sheet (0.15-0.4mm t) butt welds for the application in 316L type stainless steel, that according to the code require guided bend test to qualify (at this stage Client will not accept any concession in lieu to the contrary, i.e. additional macro's, radiography, fracture test etc). We have spoken to a number of mechanical test houses whom state that to conduct a guided bend test on weldment material this thin is impossible as the formers would need to accommodate a 'plunger' or similar 4xt, for our 0.15mm butt welds this means a guided bend test jig forming a 'bend' with radii 0.6mm.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions, I understand we can go back to Client and ask for concession/dispensations but at this stage I need to confirm that the practicality of complying 100% to ASME IX is not achievable, I understand the intent can be met via other assurance options.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-29-2016 11:26
Use a longitudinal guided bend test with permission of your client.

Al
Parent - - By sgcengineering Date 09-30-2016 06:34
Thanks for that Al,

I've had a chat with our mechanical test lab and re-look at the ASME IX longitudinal guided bend test in lieu of transverse. It looks like the 'jig' forming requirements are identical, it's just the orientation of the weld bead that changes. Maybe i'm missing something though and as always open to new interpretations.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-30-2016 12:58
Exactly, the bend diameter is the same, just the orientation differs.

The width of the weld bead is often wider than the bend if one performs a transverse bend on butt joints when the base metal is less than 1/16 inch. Impossible to meet the code requirement that the weld and HAZ be included in the radius of the bent specimen.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / ASME IX guided bend test, thin sheet material.