Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Pull out testing of adhesive anchors
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-07-2016 15:52
Can anyone give any experience with testing equipment to test the pull out strength of adhesive anchors in a poured concrete wall? Is there any one brand better, or easier to use?

I plan to check with Hilti and see what they offer.
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 10-07-2016 21:52
For your information, Hilti has a smart phone/computer app that gives their specs on their products. It is useful for product selection.  It may help you.  But it is their data on their products.

HTH
Griff
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-08-2016 16:32
Hi John,

The answer comes about 3/4 of the way through this brief technical video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3yYN5N8wkM

But watch the whole thing, as it provides profound insight into the world of steel buildings and precision responses to high level questions and scenarios.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-18-2016 15:17
LOL...Lawrence...that was pretty accurate.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-08-2016 01:41
It was years ago that we had to load test some anchors. We used a hollow ram with a load cell. If I remember correctly, it was a rig designed and fabricated specifically for the project. The hydraulics were purchased from EnerPac. Can't remember who supplied the load cell.

Are you simply verifying the anchor will sustain a particular load or are you loading it to failure?

Have you considered using a Skidmore?

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-10-2016 12:29
I've used an enerpac with pressure gauge to load Anchor bolts, may go that route again. I received some info from  Hilti,  but the equipment was only for small anchors...ie 1/4 - 1/2 diameter.  Waiting for more info about their equipment from them.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-18-2016 15:56
Hilti  rep says they do not have anything to test 3/4" diameter adhesive anchors...uggh. These get tested all of the time, so I'm not sure what's going on at Hilti.
AC58 is specified and to be tested in accordance with ASTM E488
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 11-08-2016 15:29
http://acwc.sdp.sirsi.net/client/search/asset/1004726

Hey John,  interesting post-
A long while ago I did a hydro generation draft tube repair project for the Army Corps of Engineers.  We had to drill thru the draft tube, which was rolled 2 thick plate.  We added a big angle countersink for weld prep in the plate.  We then drilled about 18" into the concrete and installed chem-stud type Hilti anchor glass tubes.  We hammer drilled and drove the anchor in, let cure, and cut the anchor flush to the draft tube and with the countersink prep made a full pen weld, joining the wall to anchor.  The pre-job testing we did was involved and started with re-bar anchors and pull out tests.  The re-bar actually failed in tension before the concrete anchor system failed.  Then we went to testing alloy bar anchors (4140 I believe) and we could move the failure to the concrete (conical pull out in the concrete).  The welding to the draft tube became a concern with difficulty in preheating for the 1.5" dia. 4140 bar to A572 plate, so we retreated to some lower carbon alloy rod, shot the engineer, and finished the job.

Attached is the Army corps Report for Evaluating Grouting Materials for Concrete Anchors back then
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-08-2016 15:56
That is interesting Bill, thanks for sharing

all of the info that I've read regarding the hilti anchors says that the concrete is the weakest link when prepared and installed correctly. A conical pull out of the concrete with everything else in tact.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-08-2016 16:00
One of the beams that I was supposed to pull out the anchors had an entire upper floor bearing on it and I was supposed to stand underneath and try to pull the anchors out of the wall....Ummm, I didn't like the whole scenario and how it was playing out.
- By theweldor (*) Date 11-09-2016 01:07
I have been on several jobs for the NYSDOT that required us to do testing on anchors. Their engineers always gave us a cylinder size and pressure that had to be met. We just had to have a certified gage for the hydraulic line. If I remember correctly I think it was 15 or 20 bucks to get the gage certified.
- By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-09-2016 02:04
Interesting.  Most of the testing I have been involved with was of in service items that were not expected to pull out but had to be tested to X psi to assure soundness.  If they came loose that was desirous over remaining without proper strength but they were not purposely pulled out.  Either the bolt/anchor or the concrete gives way or if there has been other issues contributing the bolt may just lift out of the concrete.  Bolt and concrete may be acceptable but the joining was not a good bond either because of a lack of proper washer/head on the anchor, J pulled out (which is why they aren't used in most applications anymore), or not installed properly. 

Tested items done to pull out were in mock ups similar to using a Skidmore prior to doing any bolting.  Test some to failure or at least the brink of it to know the procedure, product, and end result are satisfactory. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By theweldor (*) Date 11-10-2016 01:03
None of what we have had to test was in service. We merely had to meet the specifications they required with the product that we wanted to use. So we would set several anchors to the specified dimensions and check them the next day. Most this was for the stands for bridge railing.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Pull out testing of adhesive anchors