Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 3.9.2.1 Dihedral Angle Limitations & Fig 3.4, Detail C ????
- By tom cooper (**) Date 10-13-2016 20:40
This question is with specific regard to D1.1:2015, Subclause 3.9.2.1 "Dihedral Angle Limitations" and Figure 3.4, Detail C,
  (or/also D1.1:2010, 3.9.3.1 and Figure 3.11 Detail C).

This subclause under the primary clause entitled "Fillet Weld Requirements" states the obtuse side of the skew member when the dihedral angle is >100° shall be prepared as per Figure 3.4, Detail C........which pictorially shows a PJP (could sometimes be a CJP). 

Other possible skew configurations depicted in Figure 3.4, Details A, B & D also illustrate a range of circumstances where the dihedral angle could be >100°  ~BUT~   by the literal verbiage of 3.9.2.1 these will never be allowed to be used in a prequalified manner.  Subclause 3.9.2.1 inescapably traps us into using Detail C and only Detail C whenever our dihedral angle exceeds 100°.

Am I reading this correctly (I think not)?   what have I missed ?  and what can anyone offer as clarification?   

Thank you very much for any insight you can offer.
Regards,
Tom C
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 3.9.2.1 Dihedral Angle Limitations & Fig 3.4, Detail C ????