Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Safety - Welding Instruction
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-15-2016 13:25
Good morning everyone;

I can use some help from some of you that teach welding. What do you include in your training program regarding welder safety and the use of damaged welding leads?

Specifically, I am looking for a text book or a lesson plan that includes a statement that a welder should not use welding leads with damaged insulation, loose connections, etc. I have excerpts from OSHA regulations regarding damaged welding leads, but I need to know what is taught in a welding class. That is, what the welder needs to know about the dangers and hazards associated with using welding leads with missing or damaged insulation, electrical shorts, etc. 

What I need is a scanned copy of the pages that address the issues related to damaged leads and a scanned copy of the textbook or lesson plan.

If this is something you can help me with, I will certainly appreciate your help.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 10-17-2016 02:22
Damaged welding leads is electrical shock hazard. I think this topic is covered by maintenance of welding machine.
Welding machines and auxiliary equipment must be inspected periodically and maintained by competent electricians.
Maintenance records should be kept on welding power supplies to comply with in-house safety regulations. Safety supervisor and maintenance personnel should make routine inspection of welding cables and electrode holders, guns and work clamps. Damaged welding leads, electrode holders with worn or missing insulators should be replaced or repaired by competent electricians.

The massage to the trainees is before you start to work in any job site, you have to attend the safety induction course provided by the facility. Based on experience, the safety regulations may not be the same to all job sites. There are some job sites that you cannot bring in to use your own welding cables (even with UL marking) without prior inspection and approval by the authorized safety supervisor.      

Sorry Al, that is all I know :lol:
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-17-2016 03:29
Thanks Joey.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Safety - Welding Instruction