Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Welding Leads
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-16-2016 20:42
This is a double post, but I need your help.

I am looking for subject matter on the subject of safety as it pertains to using damaged welding leads.

Specifically, I am looking for information provided to students studying welding. What do we tell our students about the dangers of electrical shock and electrocution from using welding leads with damaged insulation? Is this a subject included in your curriculum on safety?

What I am looking for is a scanned copy of the page from the text book or lesson plan used to instruct student welders. I also need the source of the materials presented in your class.

Thanks for you help gentlemen.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-17-2016 00:34
https://www.osha.gov/dts/maritime/sltc/ships/ships_combined.pdf

I have never seen anything other than the basic warnings related to welding and electric shock. Not a specific lesson on leads.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-17-2016 00:59
I know the basic information provided to most welders is "don't use leads with damaged insulation," but I'm looking for actual text that can be quoted.

I've read the OSHA requirements, but that's not what is typically included in a textbook on welding. I don't have access to the textbooks used in welding classes or the information that would be included in a company sponsored training program. That's what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-17-2016 09:13
AWS EG 2.0 Guide for the Training of Welding Personnel refers to ANSI Z49 which does mention cable insulation. Very briefly !
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-17-2016 11:42
Thanks - Al
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 10-17-2016 17:21 Edited 10-17-2016 17:25
This is not really what you're looking for Al, but some info to consider...

Here's what Z49.1 : 2012 has to say about weld cable insulation repair:

11.5.4 Welding Cable. Welding cable shall be
inspected for wear or damage. Cables with damaged
insulation or connectors shall be replaced or repaired to
achieve the mechanical strength, insulating quality,
electrical conductivity, and water tightness of the original
cable. Joining lengths of cables shall be done by methods
specifically intended for the purpose. The connection
methods shall have insulation adequate for service.

Which is contrary to what OSHA says:

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=25149

I think their view is largely based on “weld lead” that is typically strung out in 50’ – 500’ lengths all over construction jobs like buildings and ships. These are known to be hazardous because the welding machine is typically grounded to the structure being built, which creates a giant circuit in that a bare spot in a lead will arc out on almost anything conductive. This causes fires and situations like this –

http://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/face/Reports/REPORT-017.html

In these cases, OSHA 1910.254(d)(9)(iii) is pointing out that damaged leads can’t be “repaired” (which is most typically done through poor application of electrical tape), but they can be cut and spliced through appropriate means, such as-

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/164/1640820_2000x2000.jpg

So, what we wind up with is a blanket restriction in which any type of “welding cable” that is insulated, has to be replaced, or spliced, if the insulation becomes damaged.
This has little to do with electrical safety. For example:
•  Welding ground clamps are not insulated.
•  The weldments we weld on are not insulated.
Even though they conduct the same electrical current as the insulated weld lead, during welding operations.

High volume manufacturing operations are so different from those that this OSHA requirement is based on that we suffer, rather than receive a personnel safety benefit, from the restriction. Our expensive, insulated GMAW weld guns cannot be spliced in the case of insulation damage, which means we have to replace in the case of even a small nick in the insulation, regardless of the fact there is no real safety concern in this unique situation.

In the case of our work circuits, or weld ground connections, we use a combination of insulated weld lead and bare copper flat bar, connected to bare steel fixtures and weldments. The example situation below is an unsafe condition because of a tripping hazard. However, it is OSHA compliant as there is no tape or insulation damage. It would not be unsafe if there was a nick in the rubber insulation, though according to OSHA, the weld lead would have to be replaced.

In the bottom picture, because the connecting point between the stripped insulation and the connector lug has been reinforced with tape, it could be defined as an illegal repair by OSHA-

I've worked on oil rigs and in shipyards where hundreds of feet of weld lead are strung out, with bare spots in the insulation arcing out on things they shouldn't, and energizing water puddles. I understand that wrapping a little bit of electrical tape around an insulation tear is not and should not be an approved repair.
However, I think this is a case where over restrictive OSHA blanket requirements have been put in place by clueless people...

Tim
Parent - By mariagarcia (*) Date 05-16-2019 12:15
Excellent.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-17-2016 18:42
Thanks for the information Tim.

A few months ago I would have been inclined to agree with several of the points you made, but......

It was about a year ago while I was visiting a client's shop when I happened to touch two welding benches at the same time. The kick nearly knocked me to my knees. It was no small bite. I passed it off, but I should have stopped to see how the welding machines were connected to the benches.

Now I have a case where a worker (not the welder) received a shock severe enough that ligaments in his shoulder were torn.

The question came up, "What are welders taught with regards to using damaged welding leads?" Hence my inquiry.

I've read the OSHA requirements, I noted some of the cases where employers were fined for using damaged welding leads, but that doesn't answer the question of what welders are taught in the classroom.

As a welder of 45 years in the field I've received my fair share of shocks while welding with wet gloves and boots, but I never gave it much thought until recently.

So, my question is still, "What do we teach our welders in the classroom about the hazards of using welding leads with damaged insulation?"

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 10-17-2016 19:50
I dare to assume that the reason you were shocked when you touched both tables at once, was not because of damaged insulation but due to improper or inadequate work lead connections.
Current will travel the path of least resistance, and in a high resistance circuit, it will follow multiple paths if presented with them.
I imagine that when you touched both tables, you created an alternate or additional path for current that was struggling to overcome resistance in the only other path available.
I'm sure you know this stuff Al, just pointing it out for others following along.

You're absolutely right though in that students are inadequately taught electrical safety concerns for work circuits.
Training should stress both conductor insulation concerns as well as resistance and connection concerns.

PM coming.

Tim
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 10-18-2016 17:02
Al,

I had to use a new sign in name. I'm formerly SCOTTN

This is from the Virginia Tech link below. Not much, but hopefully it's helpful...

http://www.ehss.vt.edu/programs/WEL_electrical.php

Electric shock hazards associated with arc welding may be divided into two categories:

•  Primary "input" voltage shock (220-480 volts) - For example, touching a lead inside the welder with the power to the welder "on" while part of your body or a hand is on the welder case or other grounded metal. Remember, turning the welder power switch "off" does not turn the power off inside the welder! To turn the power inside of the welder "off", the input power cord must be unplugged or the power disconnect switch turned off. You should never remove fixed panels from the welder.

•  Secondary "output" voltage shock (20-100 volts) - For example, touching a part of the electrode circuit such as a bare spot on the electrode cable at the same time another part of your body is touching the metal upon which you're welding (i.e. the work piece). To receive a shock, your body must touch both sides of the welding circuit - the electrode and the work (or welding ground) - at the same time. Remember, the voltage at the electrode is highest when you are not welding (i.e. open citcuit voltage). Safe work practices and habits, such as keeping everything as dry as possible, maintaining and using equipment in good condition, and preventing accidental contact to equipment when not in use.

Scott
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-18-2016 17:03
Isn't that about your 3rd or 4th name around here?  You trying to be incognito? 

Hope all is well with you.

Brent
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 10-18-2016 17:12
Thank you Brent. All is well. I just started a new job in Tarboro, NC as plant manager of a structural steel fabrication shop. It's a great opportunity to help a small company grow. We have a three spindle Peddinghaus beamline being delivered in a few weeks and I'll be helping the company with the AISC quality certification process.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-18-2016 18:14
We drove right through that area last year.  Pretty country. 

Sounds like a great opportunity and some good things happening.  Peddinghaus makes some great equipment. 

Best wishes on your new endeavor.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-18-2016 19:58
Congrats! :cool:
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 10-18-2016 20:37
Thanks John!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Welding Leads