Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / equipment choices
- - By johnrhone Date 05-05-2003 02:16
I recently postewd here asking about tig. With encouragement and help from this site I am now looking to move ahead and plunge in.

I want to get back to welding after a long absence. Some structural but mostly sculpture. I used to be quite a good gas welder but pretty average at stick.

I have been reading many of the posts from several welding boards (aws, miller/hobart, chaski) regarding equipment.

Before I lay out my (numerous) questions I would just like to say that I have really appreciated the positive feedback and great attitude everyone seems to have on these boards and the effort the posters make to be helpful.

Since I am starting from scratch (other than my OA setup and an old Lincoln Buzzbox) I need everything but am pretty picky and want good stuff.

From what I have read, and for my need for flexibility (thickness and materials) I seem to have narrowed my choices down to the following (not very narrowed I know!):

Plasma Cutting: Thermal Dynamics Drag-Gun 38 (might not have large enough capability?), Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 50, Hypertherm 380, Miller Spectrum 375 Cutmate (similar to Hypertherm 380?), Miller Spectrum Thunder (might not have large enough capability?)

I kind of like the idea of the built in compressor but you do pay for it!

TIG: Lincoln Invertec V205T, Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Lincoln Precision Tig 175, Lincoln Precision Tig 275 Ready To Weld, Miller Syncrowave 180 SD Tig Runner, Miller Syncrowave 250 DX Tig Runner.

I would think the inverters models would be the most flexible and are light weight but am open to opinions.

Helmet: Jackson Next Gen 3N1, Speedglas 900XI, Optrel Sattelite, NextGen EQC.

I know this is a lot to ask you to comment on but am really looking forward to your points of view and any and all alternate suggestions.

Many, many thanks. Your help is very much appreciated.

John Rhone

ps: I am posting this on several boards. I hope this is alright.

Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 05-07-2003 06:34
have you checked out Thermal Arc's inverter TIG machines? http://www.thermalarc.com

Thermal Arc is owned by Thermadyne, so don't get confused!
Parent - By FITA Marine Date 05-08-2003 00:28
John,
I dont know if you want ac output, if not, you should consider the maxstar 200. It is an incredible machine, everytime I use it I am impressed
Jerry FITA Marine
Parent - - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 05-09-2003 02:50

Hi, John,

As far as TIG stuff goes, you have posted quite a wide range in terms of prices, etc. And I can see that you DO want nice equipment!

Really, I think you need to decide how important the following things are:

Price
Portability (Inverter vs. transformer)
How heavy you need to weld (water cooled or not)
Who is local and will suppport what they sell
Other equipment you might want (for art, depending upon what you're doing, I could see wanting a forge, sandblaster, etc.)

My only note of caution for you is that some inverters make strange sounds as they operate. That'd drive me nuts!

Everyone likes whatever they've bought. I agree with the guy posting on your TIG? thread that after high frequency and AC what the extra money gets you with TIG are bells and whistles which will only get in your way. A lot of automated stuff, customizable programs, etc. Great if you're doing the same process again and again but if you're not then you won't use it. For that reason I think the Dynasty is overkill.

I really like my Lincoln Invertec V205T but have yet to use the triangle waveform, etc. Or the portability which cost me so much -- haven't owned it long, though.

Best of luck!
Chris
Parent - By johnrhone Date 05-09-2003 04:49
thanks chris.

i'm trying to narrow it down as best i can!

i think i can get by ok without water cooled.

you're right about local, but no really great stores for more than 50 miles. mostly miller and to a little lesser degree lincoln are available for welders and pro wave is also available for plasma. i think it will be an internet or shipped from oregon (to so cal) purchase because of calif taxes and prices plus no really good stores close anyway.

your right about forge. any info would be appreciated. just starting to look into that.

leaning towards dynasty 200 and thermal dynamics cutmaster 50 plasma and optrel satellite helmet.

i like the inverter light weight and the bells and whistles are intriging (pulse etc) and also the ease of use w/ generator.

the syncrowave 250Dx sure is an impressive machine though!!

then there is the cost factor.

what do you think?

has anyone had experience w/ esab 650 plasma? and how does it compare w/ the thermal dynamics cutmaster 50?

thanks.

john

Parent - By johnrhone Date 05-27-2003 05:14
thanks everyone.

well, i've plunged ahead. wow, the money flows like sand thru your fingers...

miller dynasty 200
thermal dynamics cutmaster 50 w/ 1torch
speed glas 9000xi

and that isn't even all.

now i'm looking for a vertical 80 gal compressor.

any ideas on this?

thanks again.

john
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / equipment choices