Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "Double Eye Protection" for Grinding?
- - By Blaster (***) Date 10-19-2016 14:26
I am curious what percentage of worksites require a face shield to be worn in addition to safety glasses when running a grinder v. how many do not require double protection.  Thanks.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-19-2016 14:33
While many claim it to be a 'requirement', can it truly be so if it is not inforced?  Firing if not followed is a good way to make sure it is done. 

Kinda like wearing safety glasses under a hood.  Usually required but not always inforced. 

I believe these can be found within OSHA but sometimes we hear what amounts to rumors about what OSHA mandates.  Even their inspectors don't usually know what the code really says. 

I know it is in both the AiSC and AWS Shop Fabricator Safety books.  I believe AISC's is a free download but don't remember for sure. 

Back to the question, I keep one by the bench grinder and a couple others around the shop.  They don't get as much use as they should unless I walk through and insist they use them. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 10-19-2016 18:48
Required and enforced at all of our facilities.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-19-2016 19:24
Same with us
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-19-2016 20:16
Everywhere I have been it's one but common sense prevails, maybe I should use a shield. Never wear glasses under my hood(pancake).

Personally I think it's like peeing up a rope. I've worn shield and glasses, shield and goggles, hood and glasses, best goggles I could find and I have gotten something in my eyes with all of those combinations. Bounces off shirt or something else, pinballs around and whack, right in the eye. Then off to the doc for the mini drill. If a little tiny tidbit can find it's way in then a big piece of whatever will too. It all depends on what the big man upstairs has planned for me.

Best thing I found, and this will definitely get some panties in a wad, swimming goggles. Have never been dinged in the eyes with grinding junk using those.
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 10-19-2016 20:36
What gets my panties in a wad is peeing up a rope. While I'm climbing it. The swimming goggles I wear prevent it from splashing in my eyes, but when it comes in contact with the rope burns on my legs, that's where I draw the line.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-20-2016 09:28
Hahaha! Yeah, definitely not something I prefer or would do daily. On a tower, hanging from a rope slinging a grinder where you cannot get into position and wearing a shield, glasses combination while being battered by the wind from 6 different directions and ingenuity is a necessity. On the ground either safety glasses or hood but prefer the hood.
Parent - By dick (**) Date 10-20-2016 01:49
Blaster

Both mandatory at our facilities.

Dick
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-20-2016 11:07
At my previous place of employment where I was in a fab shop environment, I was the safety manager. The company sent personnel to the eye Dr at a rate of 2 or more per month due to getting something in the eye while grinding. I had employees asking for full face shields and they were provided. These employees who utilized the face shield in conjunction with safety glasses stopped needing trips to the eye Dr. The safety committee decided that 2 employees per month wasn't acceptable and implemented mandatory face shields while grinding. The need for eye Dr trips was reduced to less than 2 per year. That was evidence enough for me. It was painful for me to see employees with red, bloodshot, light and air sensitive eyes due to eye injuries caused by the grinding debris.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 10-20-2016 11:27
All our folks use at least both glasses and shields.  A lot of them also use the fresh air apparatus. That's even better since it's totally enclosed with a hood.

Tyrone
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-22-2016 03:36
The good ones....100%. The faceshield is not for eye protection only.
- - By TRowe (*) Date 10-23-2016 02:17
Here is what OSHA says about the issue of "Eye and Face Protection" within the General Industry and Construction Standards:

General Industry

§1910.133 — Eye and face protection

(a)General requirements.

(1)The employer shall ensure that each affected employee uses appropriate eye or face protection when exposed to eye or face hazards from flying particles, molten metal, liquid chemicals, acids or caustic liquids, chemical gases or vapors, or potentially injurious light radiation.

Construction

§1926.102

(a)General requirements.

(1) The employer shall ensure that each affected employee uses appropriate eye or face protection when exposed to eye or face hazards from flying particles, molten metal, liquid chemicals, acids or caustic liquids, chemical gases or vapors, or potentially injurious light radiation.

Both Standards say the same thing.

Brent brings up some good points about workplace enforcement and OSHA mandates and the knowledge of OSHA inspectors. If you notice OSHA states that the appropriate eye or face protection is to be used when affected employees are exposed to eye or face hazards from flying debris, etc. It also states it is up to the employer to ensure that the proper PPE is used.

When grinding it will be very hard to convince OSHA that only one can be used as a minimum (safety glasses or face shield). That is why most workplaces require both (as noticed in many of the comments).

Pipewelder 1999 summed it up best with regards to OSHA's requirements on eye and face protection- "The faceshield is not for eye protection only" and an OSHA inspector will probably see it the same way. If not, OSHA has the "General Duty Clause" to fall back on and will use it if there is any grey area to the matter at hand and they have the authority to "ding" the employer and employee.

Check your employers policies and requirements regarding this issue, or any other issue concerning workplace safety requirements and make sure you are following them. A good employer is required to have them available (mandated by OSHA) and should be willing to address any concerns you might have. But, keep in mind, if an employer has a requirement and a trained employee is not following the requirement then that employee is as much at fault as the employer in OSHA's eyes. Also, use common sense when protecting yourself because some employers are not always safety driven and will sometimes overlook their responsibilities to keep you safe.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 10-24-2016 20:28
Theoretically, accomplishing a comprehensive job hazard analysis will identify those tasks/work areas/employees which should wear double eye protection.  We shouldn't have to figure it out based on how many folks we're sending to the doc every year.  OSHA will come in and ask an operator what kinds of eye protection are available, and when it is to be worn, etc.  The operator's answer is usually taken as an indication of whether there is any kind of policy in place, and if it is enforced.  A little awareness training goes a long, long way when that OSHA enforcement officer comes knocking.  It also pays to work as safely as you can, while hopefully not hindering your ability to see what you're doing.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "Double Eye Protection" for Grinding?