Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI vs ICC Bolting and Welding Difficulty of Exams
- - By kbirney Date 10-25-2016 22:01
Currently I am CWI. My company Im employed with is requiring me to obtain ICC certs. I was curious the difficulty of the exams for ICC compared to AWS CWI. ICC easier or not?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-26-2016 02:08
All a matter of opinion.  Personally, I felt the ICC's were easier.  And, while they do have a portion devoted to plan reading, it isn't that bad either as long as you have at least some background in multi-story building plans.  Being familiar with plan schedules, typicals, notes, details and how to bounce back and forth between several all to answer one question.

Of course, you will need original copies of the IBC preferably 2012, AISC Construction Manual which will have the RCSC code on bolting; but I'm getting ahead of myself.  All you have to do is go to the ICC website and it will direct you to the resources to use on the exam and everything that is needed to apply and prepare.

The welding portion is easy since you have your CWI.  After you pass the Bolting portion ICC uses what they call a 'transition' form that is basically a cert by reciprocity.  All it takes is more money. 

Unless of course they want you to actually take the exam.  All depends upon what the company, or a customer, wants.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By Anthony S. Date 06-07-2017 00:15
Hello,

I am a P.E. in N.Y.C.,  I want to thank you for guiding me in the right direction to pass the S1 SS & B Special Inspector exam last week.
At this point I am beginning to prepare for the S2 Exam.  Do you have an advice on any online study courses.  For the S1 Exam, I took the
study course given by ICC, and the Steel Building Plan Reading Course by Robert Shaw, Jr., P.E.

I need to pass this S2 Exam to do the Special Inspections for Welding in Structural Steel Buildings.  It is my first intentions to get all the approved reference manuals for the test.  (I have three of five already).  I also bought the Structural Steel Inspectors Workbook by Robert Shaw, Jr., P.E.

Please fill me in on any online courses that I can complete.

Thank you so much,

And Yes:  He Is In Control For Sure...
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-07-2017 00:23
Anthony, 

Congratulations.  Good for you.

Now, you do not HAVE to take the S2 exam to get the cert.  Go to the ICC website and do a search for 'transitioning'.  When you have your S1 and CWI all you have to do is fill out the paperwork, send in copies of the other two certs, throw in a check for good measure, and they will send you your S2 cert. 

Those who have the Plan Reading through the S1 as well as their CWI are qualified in the eyes of ICC to get the S2 basically by reciprocity. 

If you have any problems, give me a shout again and I will walk you through it a little more precisely. 

Now, if your employer or client wants the actual test, it won't be that bad and I don't think you have to re-take the Plan Reading, only the code book but I am not positive about that.  Their test is NOTHING like the CWI exams. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 06-07-2017 04:12
Excellent Brent.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI vs ICC Bolting and Welding Difficulty of Exams