Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Pipelines and unions
- - By howardthewelder Date 12-17-2016 03:33
Needing some advice on a few things and not having much luck on interweb of anything useful really and tried talking to a few hands on recent jobs but given very little.  Anyways been welding goin on over five years now started at the bottom like most fab shop,tacking the whole nine to where I am now. Recently been checking into locals in the pipeline and just needing some pointing in the right direction my biggest questions are your membership for starters I know you got 798 which seems little bit more for people with more experience in the field I can weld pipe structural all SMAW but no experience pipelining and I know that can be important to have but also like 692 in putting in membership to these pipeline locals what all do they require besides the general requirements? If you do get accepted in whats the difference in being member of a local or just working for a pipeline company that's union? I know the UA has apprenticeships for fitters and whoever else but just the local if you get in as far as work goes how do they go about that testing or if your like my self can you start at a lower level maybe helper or something. The travel is no problem do that now as it is. Just few things that are still stumping me needing guidance on. Any info or advice is much appreciated.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-17-2016 03:42
Personally, I would urge you to apply for an apprenticeship with the UA. That would be a long term move that would prepare you for a good career. You would learn about the trade from the ground up and you would have an opportunity to learn to use other welding processes besides SMAW. You would work with different alloys, i.e., carbon steel, stainless, maybe a little nickel, and you would have an opportunity to travel if that's your long term goal.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By howardthewelder Date 12-17-2016 05:06
I've considered it even contacted them awhile back I'll do some more digging in on that. Thanks again.
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 12-19-2016 19:09
I served an apprenticeship through the UA Pipefitters union, and then worked as a union pipefitter for 30 years. Their apprenticeship is definitely a golden opportunity if you can get in, the kids graduating here in Utah have an Associate's degree in Construction Management, are certified plumbers, and certified welders. The benefits through the union are outstanding. Keep in mind this will get you into commercial and industrial work, not pipelines. If pipelines are where you want to go (I am actually one of the few members of my union that did this kind work occasionally) you will pretty much need to start out as a helper and work your way up, whether you are in the union or not. Those guys make a lot of money, but are never home and have to supply their own rig.
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Pipelines and unions