Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Metal base overheating
- - By gtvrys Date 12-20-2016 21:05
Hello,

Is there any section at AWS about the metal base overheating, acceptance o rejecting criteria?

Thanks for the help!
Parent - By Steelslinger (**) Date 12-20-2016 21:32
There are limitations on Pre-Heat and Interpass temperatures that have to followed/taken into consideration. It largely depends on specifically which code you are following, process, base metal classification, thickness and required results of the weldment.

Heat Input is another, but I don't remember any limits set by AWS in D1.1 or D1.5. I believe that limitations would be up to the engineer, with regard to ASTM standards and/or requirements of the design/contract/specifications.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-20-2016 23:23
D1.1 does not actually restrict inter-pass temps nor maximum temps.

It does however give some guidance as concerns max heat for heat straightening as well as job requirements for CVN's and heat input which will often get attention from the engineer in the Contract Documents; 1100°F for Q&T and 1200°F for other steels.

D1.8 for Seismic lists maximum pre-heat/interpass temps at 550°F. 

I believe D1.5 for Bridge Code has some guidelines as well but I don't have it handy to verify that.

Beyond that you would need to study Linnert's 'Welding Metallurgy' and/or AWS 'Welding Handbook Vol 1 Welding Science and Technology'.  AWS also has some online classes on metallurgy that would help one to understand common sense limitations on heating of steels and what happens to the mechanical and chemical properties when passing certain limits.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Metal base overheating