Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS In-Service Inspection & Repair Guidance
- - By FinishLine (*) Date 12-25-2016 14:03
Merry Christmas All!

Why is it so hard to find the forums from AWS website?? Jeez, I had to google search it after 3 failed attempts from their homepage.

Back on track here;

I come from the ASME nuclear world where the governing code not only provides construction guidance (Section III), but also in-service inspection (Section V), repair (Section XI), and analysis guidance (Section XI). I am now working in the structural world, and have ran into a few in-service related flaws and do not know where to look for governing code guidance. AWS D1.1 (governing code), has a short little blurb (Clause 8), which basically amounts to "make sure you know what type of metal it is, and that it is clean before welding". When providing the customer with repair plans, I would much rather reference an applicable code versus coming up with my own (and/or referencing ASME which is not applicable).

Where would I look? Does AWS have a publication I do not know about? AISC? What do the bridge D1.5 guys do? I know they have been dealing with in-service cracking for some time now.

Thanks!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-25-2016 16:00
Once a root cause analysis has been completed, the AWS codes are still applicable.

I do agree with you that AWS really doesn't seem to address in-service inspections, but considering the nature of the structures AWS codes cover, few are subject of in-service inspections to the  same extent as a pressure vessel or pressure piping system.

Builds, for the most part, are static. The loads do not change over time and if they do, the changes are minimal. The exception is taken for structures subject to fatigue loading in which case the S-N curves from Clause 2 provides the owner and the engineer some guidance with the regards to the anticipated service life of specific types of connections in the structure. As the service life is consumed, it is the owner's responsibility to engage an engineer that understands in-service inspections and what areas of the structure, i.e., which connections, requires close examination.

In the case of bridges, there are federal guidelines and laws that stipulate the frequency of examinations. I'm sure you have driven over a bridge that was in the process of being inspected. You know, there are barriers everywhere, the traffic slows to a snail's pace and there is a truck with a boom and a work platform reaching over the edge of the bridge.   Those inspections are mandated by both state and federal requirements. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By FinishLine (*) Date 12-25-2016 16:22
Al, based on your response, seems AWS does not have guidance that you know of. When necessary, requirements from a third party (your bridge example = state & federal agencies) are used versus looking to AWS for guidance.

Our industry is starting to see fatigue and other in-service induced failures in structures originally designed to AWS D1.1 as "Static". We are developing inspection & engineering products including in-service inspections, cause evaluations, and repair plans to our customers, and have been building these products following the spirit and intent of ASME. I was hoping to find other industries within the AWS world for guidance, as ASME is a little bit more of a stretch than I like (even though I feel ASME has superior knowledge, experience, and guidance for in-service)
Parent - By FinishLine (*) Date 12-25-2016 17:44
In my previous life, any inspector looking at components in service, NA,NB,NC (piping), NF (structural piping supports), IWE/IWL (structural concrete & metallic containment) had training specific to what they were looking at, through EPRI or a comparable industry association. Over here in the AWS Structural world they send a CWI out to look at it, which IMO is completely inadequate. The CWI training I have ran across has no guidance for in-service, and generally speaking is a construction minded inspection only.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-25-2016 18:13
Erik,

Merry Christmas.  Am I remembering right?  You are the one who used to be in AZ right?  Moved to CA in past year or two? 

Anyway, look at this link, it is D1.7.  A newer standard that is based on existing structures and is an expanded Clause 8. 

http://pubs.aws.org/p/850/d17d17m2010-guide-for-strengthening-and-repairing-existing-structures

It may be of some help for what you are looking for.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By FinishLine (*) Date 12-25-2016 19:51
Brent, thanks for the link, will take a look at that for sure. Yes you are correct, moved from Phoenix to San Diego a couple years back
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS In-Service Inspection & Repair Guidance