Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / What is definition of corner joint and butt joint ?
- - By Funfax (*) Date 01-11-2017 11:00 Edited 01-11-2017 11:03
Dear Experts,

Please see picture below, This is a End plug plate welded to Manifold/Header. I have some confused between corner joint and butt joint on this. So I think this joint is corner joint, It's not butt joint and I have informed to client like that. But today They confirm this joint is butt joint and don't give other detail and why. I had already looked on AWS A2.4 and AWS A3.0, but it doesn't clear for me. Can anyone please clarify on this ?

Full pic.

Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-11-2017 17:20
Polra,

Sometimes we try too hard to get terminology perfect.  Trying to convince a customer that they have used the wrong term may be an effort in futility.  We all must learn to pick our battles and just let some things go unchallenged.

In this case, especially so since they have included a very good detail of the joint configuration with dimensions.  You know what they want regardless of what they and you call it.

I would really have to dig deep to think that it was anything other than a corner joint completed with a V-groove weld.  While joint preparation may influence the designation it is not normally the main consideration.  And, this joint could be prepared several different ways and still be a corner joint.  I am having trouble picturing any joint prep that would make it even a consideration of being a butt joint. 

I may end up eating my words as I don't have all of my books with me at the moment.  We will have to see what others think.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Funfax (*) Date 01-12-2017 06:47
Dear Brent,

Thanks for your comment. That is helpful for me.
Parent - - By weldnote (*) Date 01-11-2017 18:36
Hey there Funfax

While you are dealing with a corner piece, I would agree with your client that this is a Butt Joint (with material backing at that)

I say this because in a corner joint, the part that you weld will be joining the two pieces in the corner of both plates. In this case I would say it is a partial penetration butt weld as you are welding two beveled pieces that are not joined by the corner (but rather their sides, like you would on a butt weld).

I would say it is quite misleading, but this would be my interpretation
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-12-2017 03:02
The problem here is you are mixing apples and orange, i.e. AWS and ASME terminology. It is like mixing oil and water. Some folk used to working with ASME consider any CJP weld a butt joint. I've seen several instances in AWS standards, with ASME folks on the committee, use the same terminology as ASME B&PV code.

Brent hit the nail on the head. Pick your battles.

Al
Parent - By Funfax (*) Date 01-12-2017 07:11
Dear Al,

Thanks for your reply, The designed code is ASME Sec.I and yes I had found something on this. That joint in my question is Corner joint as per ASME Sec.I-2015, PG-93, PG-93.1, Figure PG-31, illustrations (i-2). Your words make me get clear answers.

Many thanks Al
Parent - - By Funfax (*) Date 01-12-2017 06:53
Dear Tiago,

Thanks, I have still looking definition on ASME Sec.I as per designed code. Hope to find them in there.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-12-2017 11:43
Just for fun, do you have a part or weld detail for item 4-01?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Funfax (*) Date 01-13-2017 03:53
Dear Al,

I don't have weld detail for item 4-01(Weldolet + Header), my client just provides the weld detail for Tube + Header, End Plate + Header and Stub + Header.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-13-2017 06:13
The ASME code will not provide any requirements for the weldolet because that is a "trade name". The piping codes do have  requirements for integrally reinforced branch fittings which is the generic term for "Weld-o-lets, Sock-o-lets, and Thread-o-lets".

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Funfax (*) Date 01-13-2017 07:51
Dear Al,

After I checked with ASME B31.1/B31.3, You are right, That is a new knowledge for me. Thanks Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / What is definition of corner joint and butt joint ?