Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Has anyone gone through the Pre-Seminar for the CWI exam
- - By will999909 Date 01-16-2017 19:05
I am going to take the exam+seminar, but I have never heard anyone pay for the pre-seminar before.  Is it worth it?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-16-2017 20:08
I took the seminar ahead of taking the exam. I will say that I learned about some other materials that I had never been exposed to in my career. The only material that I was familiar with was regular old mild steel (ASTM A36, ASTM A527 Grade 50...etc.) and they went over Inconel, Monel, Stainless steels and other high alloy materials that require special attention when welding and inspecting. There were questions (metallurgy questions) regarding  these materials and I would have never been able to guess my way through those. Plus it reassured me regarding all of the self studying I had done prior. It is a lot of money to fork out, but to me it was worth it.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-16-2017 23:09
Will,

Are you asking about the online pre-seminar?  I did not but have heard it can be very advantageous depending upon one's background prior to taking it. 

I took the week long seminar the week of the exam and will definitely encourage others to do the same.  It was very good.  I just recently sat through one as our section rep and will testify that the new info and extra time for the Part B were very informative. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Has anyone gone through the Pre-Seminar for the CWI exam