Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Tulsa and Four M, et al
- - By FritzTKatt Date 02-08-2017 23:20
Howdy ya'll. (Note to mods: you may see my AWS number associated with an older, inactive account, I couldn't find the name/pass or email associated with it, so I made a new account. My appologies.)

Short version: who's better, TWS or Four M, other?

Background and long version: certified as entry level in 2011 (tech school). Worked for 2 years between Seraphin and Perry Products (NJ), as an entry level guy. Learned a lot, ended with xray work for Perry, as well as having picked up some experience with a semi-auto boom (typically overlay work), basic fitting and shop work. In 2013 I joined the USMC, haven't touched a rod since, and am getting out in a few months. I have learned how to lead, follow, supervise, and basic mechanics during my time in.

Currently I'm still at Camp Pendleton, but would like to get out of California ASAP. Since I have some extended family in the greater Tulsa area, I figure my best bet would be to attend school there. Especially with the lower cost of living, etc.

Given that I haven't ran a bead in nearly 4 years, and haven't manually burnt a bead in almost 4.5 years (did all semi-auto my last few months with Perry), I recognize the need to retrain and relearn before I make a fool of myself in front of a prospective employer. With that, I'd like to take the opportunity to learn more about fitting/fabrication, as opposed to simply welding.

Most of what I can find about TWS is older, and seems hit or miss with the student experience there. Four M seems to be much lower profile, and searches seem to end up with TWS results...

Cost isn't a major concern as long as I can use my GI bill, and come out of the school with the right knowledge and skills to succeed.

I appreciate any input on these two schools.

Also, for the employers/supervisors on the forum, what schools have produced the best employees for you? The worst?
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-09-2017 12:30
Hi Fritz!

Use the search function on this forum to find many years worth of info on everything related to welding, including training programs.
You'll find that Tulsa has received a lot of negative comments.
I don't have enough experience with Tulsa to say good or bad, other than to say that the couple graduates of their highly expensive program that I hired were good welders, but really didn't know a lot about the science behind welding.
I know nothing about Four M.
I have developed a great respect for the Hobart Institute.

My advice is that with your background, leadership skills and GI Bill benefits, you should look into programs that offer Welding Technician degrees. Look up Weld-Ed.
Also, know that a good Robotic Welding Programmer can write his own ticket, anywhere in the world.
I also suggest that you look closely at the AWS Certified Welding Supervisor (CWS) program.

Good luck and thanks for your service!

Tim
Parent - By FritzTKatt Date 02-11-2017 00:32
That's what I got as well, except I am confused as to how they'd be able to maintain enrollment if it was that bad.

I did some searching, and apparently one of my buddies is actually 10 miles from troy (hobart). That could be a life saver.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 02-09-2017 17:00
How about Workshops for Warriors 2970 Main St. San Diego CA. 619-550-1620 or www.wfwusa.org  ? One of the instructors teaches welding at Camp Pendleton
Parent - By FritzTKatt Date 02-11-2017 02:22
My first choice is in fact warriors to welders as it is local, however, given the cost of living, it may not be feasible to attend if I can't get there while on active duty. I'm looking at a contingency  (more/less) plan.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Tulsa and Four M, et al