Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / cladding WPS for pipes
- - By Reuben Date 02-09-2017 07:00
Hi Guys,
I'm sorry if this is a repeated post. I was searching through the forum for a day or two but couldn't find anything.
My company's planning to do WPS for inconel 625 to 4130 TIG for cladding of pipe IDs and flange ring grooves. My QC guy and myself are at a bit of an impasse cos he's saying the test piece has to be on a pipe ID, but I'm saying shouldn't a test done on the pipe OD be sufficient especially since qw-462.5 shows that for 6G?

Why is this even an issue and we just go ahead for the ID clad to make things safer? well the reason for that is 1" thick 4130 pipes aren't so common so we gotta bore out a 4130 round bar to do this. My vendor's telling me that if i bore it out, I've got to heat treat the piece again to get the hardness down, and his warranty won't cover it if i heat treat it.

So do I go with an OD clad and will that cover the ID cladding work I do, or do I get it heat treated and screw the warranty? cost wise I need to save every penny, so I hope the OD WPS can cover ID Cladding.

Another side concern I have is for the abbreviation. Cladding ain't a "G" or an "F" ?
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-09-2017 14:22
As you are quoting QW-462.5, I take it you are using ASME? If you read QW-462.5(b+c), in the general notes, it states 'overlay may be on outside or inside of pipe', I am not saying this answers your question as I get the feeling that there exists some uncertainty in your company's planning. QW-380/1 may help.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2017 14:28
I'm confused, the post related to qualifying a WPS. QW-380/1 relates to welder qualification.
Parent - By craigshaw Date 03-21-2017 21:43
Hi Reuben,
This reply maybe a bit out of date as I have just joined the forum.
We have for years (since 1993) qualified cladding PQRs on the OD of a pipe (DNV, ABS, ISO and Lloyd's approved) with no problem for them being accepted for ID, OD or Ring Joint overlays.
We use hot wire pulsed GTAW for all of our overlays welded in the 2G rotated position, ASME (Always, Sometimes, Maybe, Except for) is not too prescriptive for weld overlays and leaves a lot of grey areas, we have standard cladding rig booms and constant rotation head CNC controlled rigs too.
Thing to remember about CRA overlay is the thickness qualified on the test coupon you use and the separate variables table.
Don' t see why there is a hardness issue with boring out your solid bar to leave 25mm (1") wall thickness, with 4130 the ruling section of hardness penetration is normally taken as being 38mm (1-1/2") so the core of your solid bar is going to be softer than the OD.
I have plenty of qualified Alloy 625 overlay on AISI 4130 that I am willing to share, if you want PM me.

visit our web site www.ajt-engineering.co.uk and look for the welding tab
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / cladding WPS for pipes