Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / arc burns
- - By nins Date 02-10-2017 07:24
does anyone know how can we know that there is arc burns on the pipe ?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-10-2017 11:52
Arc Strikes are usually very visible, so you should be able to see them. If the welder strikes his arc in the joint and not out on the base material outside of the joint, there shouldn't be any visible arc strikes.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-10-2017 13:13
This article makes some points about arc strikes that may be of help to you:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/aws/it_201307/index.php#/22

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2017 14:39 Edited 02-10-2017 18:34
Arc burns, arc strikes, they are both the result of an arc that momentarily melts the base metal without proper shielding and uncontrolled cooling. The causes; inadvertently striking the electrode outside the weld, loose workpiece connection (ground clamp for the technically challenged), prods used for magnetic particle testing, welding leads with damaged or breached insulations, etc. Even an extension cord that has exposed wires can cause an arc strike. They can be obvious if they are severe or they can be overlooked if they are small. In any event, the issue is the same, the degree or damage can vary.
- - By Northweldor (***) Date 02-11-2017 14:10
Some good info in the discussion here:

https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=34191

Brent, I couldn't get your link to work.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-11-2017 14:58
Interesting, I just clicked on it and it took me straight to the article.  But, you can go to the AWS Website, click on 'Publications' then to 'Inspections Trends' and find it under 'Past IT editions' or IT Archive'.  It was the Summer of 2013 issue. 

Brent
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 02-12-2017 13:42 Edited 02-12-2017 13:45
Brent, I can't do that because I turned down the free AWS membership, and can no longer access any of the archives,except for this forum.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-12-2017 23:48
UUMM, well, it is an article I wrote on 'Arc Strikes' back then.  We have had discussions about arc strikes and also my article on many occasions over the years.  It was not a superbly deep article, I was just covering basics on inspector responsibilities and how misunderstood and how much lack of attention they get. 

The article also gives some examples of how they happen other than normal strikes outside the weld zone. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / arc burns