Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Elephant Graveyard
- - By Tyrone (***) Date 03-01-2017 12:24
Do you guys get the feeling that this forum is dying and will turn into the elephant graveyard?
That mystical place that you can go to get all weld related information and answers to all your problems (or a good chuckle if SCOTTN is around)?
Naw, shame it doesn't exist....
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 03-01-2017 14:23
Sure looks that way.

Griff
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-01-2017 14:56
Yep

Elephant grave yard

Hard to find

Precious ivory for those who are willing to dig it up.
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 03-01-2017 17:46
This forum has nothing to do with elephants, and anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-01-2017 22:45
Taps playing softly in the background everytime I check in lately...Day is done, gone the sun....
Parent - By mcostello (**) Date 03-02-2017 03:37
Well, there just went this month's post. Seeya next month.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 03-07-2017 21:13
It seems to have slowed down since I joined all those years back.  But I still come to see who's around, who's not around, and occasionally get some answers.  Hopefully AWS will keep it here despite lack of participation, because the amount of knowledge in here is amazing.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-02-2017 16:39
Don't throw the first shovel of dirt on it yet.

I don't bother with the "other site" any longer. They are too concerned with political correctness and too eager to censor anything that runs counter to the company line.

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-02-2017 19:35
Hey don't be throwing dirt!!!! :eek:
I'm still here and I ain't dead yet :cool:
Parent - By Maggs47 (**) Date 03-02-2017 20:55
Its just a flesh wound.  I'll bite your kneecaps off!
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 03-03-2017 17:01
Did you slag off the Farm Code again? hehe
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-03-2017 17:20 Edited 03-03-2017 18:03
I'm offended by the censoring of my responses. I'll be damn if I'll apologize for the Farm Code.

Clearly  they are not interested in an open discussion and I won't drink the company tea. Just because they ate the "smart pills" they found on the ground does not mean I have to.  Bull$hit is still bull$hit even if it carries the company banner.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-03-2017 17:29
You know Al, one of these days we really need to get you to tell us what you really think.  All of this political correctness is wearing me down.

:eek:  :wink:

I thought that thread about 'Professionalism' was a bit weak and offensive in itself.  Professionalism my eye.  If they wanted that they would monitor the site for accuracy and delete most of the posts that get submitted.  It isn't about treating people with kid gloves, it is about getting good, accurate, correct, scientifically supported, code specific information out to the OP and others. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-03-2017 17:36 Edited 03-04-2017 01:12
I responded to that post on "Professionalism", but it never saw the light of day. They censored my last few posts, so I'll spend my time elsewhere.

I guess they were offended when I said I refused to renew my Sustaining Membership after nearly 20 years in protest and I gave up my position as an instructor rather than be intimidated with subtle threats to stop hammering the FC.

There is no open and frank discussions unless one toes the company line. Sorry, I don't work for AWS.

Maybe staff can respond to some of the inquiries on their Forum. Most wouldn't know a weld if it hit them in the head.

Al
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-08-2017 16:33
I haven't been on here in ages. Last time I checked was last year, September maybe?? Was slowly walking off into the sunset then.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-09-2017 03:46
I pray you have been keeping busy Shawn. 

Brent
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-10-2017 14:48
Thanks Brent, been busy up until a few weeks ago and then hit a dry spell. Good time to jump on that annoying tax paperwork that needs to be done though! Hope all is going well out your way as well!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-10-2017 19:48
Ever since we came home from OR after taking care of Mom and Dad during Mom's open heart surgery work has been way too slow.  Can't seem to get on top of the jobs coming through.  Keep missing them for one reason or another. 

But, it's all good.  God is in Control and working all things together for good.  Getting lots of home projects done. 

Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-25-2017 02:43
Maybe us old dogs need to buy a small piece of server and put up a forum just to stay in touch.   I do not have any time to run one but I certainly could whip one out in a day or two yall could elect some janitors and it would cost like 40 bux a year.   No rules just right.  LOL.   Just a thought.   Promotion, membership, rules, moderation etc.  I am completely out on that, no time folks, plus I have a bad temperament to have keys to things internet related. But I would be happy to "engineer" it with a little input.

This particular elephant is not dead and also happens to be very fond of a lot of you folks....yall have helped me in numerous ways just by sharing a bit of your own wisdom as well as providing high entertainment via character and reactions to stupidity....no reason for that to stop anytime soon...I still have much to learn.

Luv yall guys\
Tommy
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-25-2017 03:12
Glad you see you still come around from time to time Tommy.

Brent
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 03-28-2017 11:51
Aside of the good folks on here, the main gem is the wealth of knowledge in that's posted and stored. The search feature contains tons of information.   If only there's a way to data mine and extract it to another location....

Tyrone
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-20-2017 02:00
Tyrone there are posts on highly detailed metallurgical detail to simple wps stuff....some of these old dogs really helped me solve all kinds of procedure problems when I was doing aircraft, + teach me things that I did not know I needed to know but come in dang handy later on.   If your willing, these guys can share.  Anyway I care for a lot of them cause they are just really good people, though we may rarely get to talk, I still consider them friends because trust is well established.  Work and home life keeps me far from here but losing the ability to converse with some of these guys will only bring me heartache.

my phone is posted on my profile

Tommy
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 04-20-2017 11:15
- Like! -
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-21-2017 02:55
Brent,

Love you man, hope yourself as well as the family is happy and enjoying whatever comes your way.  We are well, seeing some turmoil but the Good Lord with a lot of help from my better half it seems is seeing us thru it.  I have good solid opportunities in front of me, please pray for my wisdom, I really need the help in my decision making.

Thinking on starting over in a much more business friendly and high opportunity environment.  From what I have witnessed in man hour charges around here I think I could make a killing staying small.  Praying about it, seems things are going that way.

Take care brother
Tommy
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 04-21-2017 12:49
Tommy,
If you want, I can walk you through on a structured decision process. I use it at work and at home (deciding which house or car to buy). PM me if you like.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-22-2017 00:53
I appreciate that....

I lost a kick butt job in aerospace in 2010, took my itty bitty severance ($7k) for 5 years and somehow managed to rig up with that.   Lived in Arkansas so going and working in some fab/slave shop was not any kind of option.  I had a background in construction so I just flew my own flag.  Did decent until 2013-2014 bottom fell out and I had money in the bank so I rode it out....too dang long... lost my butt.  Anyway I think I am good Tyrone, I have been burning rods, fitting, fighting, laying out, strawbossing, foreman, planner etc...for a little over 25 yrs.  I learned a financial lesson the hard way, far as the work and seeing money in it or not.....well if I have not figured that one out yet, I never will.:lol:  I have a cush job right now as a welding/fitting foreman, not the best pay but they do not ask much more from me then to just show up.   I will ride that whilst I get my running legs back under me I think.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 04-24-2017 11:25
Sounds like you have a plan.
Good luck Tommy!
Parent - - By Trackergd (**) Date 05-26-2017 16:44
Elephant graveyard?

Are you kidding??

Every day Brent posts a link to this forum so those lost and destitute in the land of welding can find this oracle of knowledge.  With all the Original Welding Forum links and posts Brent cranks out, Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller could find this place.

Al is correct.  You shall not call into question the accuracy of the sacred cash cow, nor submit your own that contains whit and humor, lest you fall into disfavor with the All Welding Stuff.

I'm still around.  Just swamped with work and I guess that's better than the alternative.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-27-2017 01:16
Glad you are still around and even 'stalking' me,,LOL. 

Yes, I do keep it in front of people.

I think both forums have a place.  This has always been my resource for things welding.  The new AWS Members Forum has some Welding as well but is mainly for members to seek out AWS related information. 

Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Elephant Graveyard