Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS
- - By teo_ie Date 03-04-2017 11:20
My company has WPS for the welding of X52 and X56 material. We have a job to weld EH36 grade material.
Just need advise if I can use the existing WPS (X52 and X56) for the welding of EH36 material.
Or we need to go for another new WPS for this particular material grade (EH36).
Thank you.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-04-2017 14:24
teo,

If I might, you are using materials I am unfamiliar with the designations of.  Others may recognize them but I don't and I haven't looked them up as of yet so I have a couple of questions.  Hopefully others will be able to answer quickly but, honestly, I am seeking to increase my own understanding and knowledge.  So,

What code are you working to? 
And,
Do you happen to know the ASTM number equivalents of the designations you have stated? 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By teo_ie Date 03-05-2017 09:14
Hi, Brent. Thanks for the feedback and comments.

My company WPS is as per AWS D1.1: 2015 standard.
The base metal we go for is API 5L X56.

Now, I have a job to weld EH36 material.
Since the standard and base metal specification for EH36 is ASTM & A131, I would like to know if I can perform welding on this material using my existing WPS as per above without the need to do another WPS for specific EH36 grade.

Hope you could provide some advise on the above. Thank you.
Attachment: WPSPQR.docx (656k)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-05-2017 14:01
So, best I can find, API 5L Gr 56 is not Pre-Qualified per D1.1:2015 so you ran a PQR and then established your WPS from it so your WPS is approved by testing. 

Now, the advantage of your new material is that A131 Gr EH36 IS Pre-Qualified material per Table 3.1 so you don't need a PQR at all.  So you don't need to worry about that.  Just write a pWPS per Clause 3 and you are good to go.  You could basically use your current WPS but change up the various lines that need new information based upon Clause 3 parameters for compliance.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By teo_ie Date 03-06-2017 07:24
Hi, Brent.

Do allow me to attach the WPS and PQR for your better understanding.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 03-13-2017 08:20
If you are using AWS D1.1, then I think you need to have a separate WPS for EH36 and to qualify it by testing.

But if BS EN std is acceptable to your customer, you may need not to make a separate procedure qualification test based on parent material grouping.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS