Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New member with questions
- - By wisconsinchick Date 03-15-2017 03:47
Hi and I know nothing about welding but am looking for information.  I have a 17 yr old son who only has the use of one hand due to a brain tumor being removed when he was 2.  He plans on being a welder and is taking classes in high school geared towards welding and construction.  What I would like to know is are there any welders on here that are one handed, how did you get into welding?, your experiences being a one handed welder, any adaptive gear that made it easier and anything else you feel to share.  My son is very determined and was raised that he can do anything a two handed person is able to do and so far has proven that he can.  I would just like to get as much information as I can to help him as he gets ready for his senior year and then move on to a technical college for welding.

I appreciate all your help and looking forward to hearing any stories/experiences!

Thank You

Jenn
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 03-15-2017 15:38
Jenn,

Your son deserves all the recognition and encouragement he has earned by facing and dealing with the challenges life has dealt him.  Let him know welders can be a competitive and pretty nosy bunch.  They tend to be unable to prevent themselves from comparing their own work to others, which is different than comparing ones own work to an objective standard.  It boils down to their own basic insecurity.  If they could rise above that their work would actually have the chance to improve.  That said, I did once know a guy who worked with a prosthetic right arm.  It was metal, basically just a two prong grip controlled by the shoulder sling he'd learned to use to hold the "rod holder" for the welding rod.  It was shipyard work in those days which tends to be pretty physical and requires a good deal of heavy lifting and moving of plates and parts.  We used all kinds of devices as mechanical aids- come alongs, slings, cranes and that kind of stuff to get a lot of it done but none of that ever held this guy back.  He was considered a good hand, and the guys all respected him for taking up the challenges of the work and because he did it damn well.  Welding is largely a matter of practice and motivation.  It requires learning to develop some fine motor skills and hand/eye co-ordination.  The process of learning to weld will also teach one patience and perseverance, which in the end may be even more valuable than welding skills.  Learning to weld will test his ability to overcome frustration, it just comes with the territory.  Just let him know, he can do it.  It will take time and practice and a dedication to excellence and there will be times he'll be ready to throw in the towel, but if he keeps his eye on the goal and works through the setbacks there's no good reason he can't make a career in a trade that's going to be around as long as he needs work.  Beyond that, there are numerous related skill sets in the building of things metal he'll be exposed to as he gets into the trade that offer a wide selection of employment opportunities.  Best wishes to you both.
Parent - By sdjsblues Date 03-17-2017 06:05
hi jenn,
if your son have a strong mind to be the best in this zone,let him do it.i believe him.:twisted:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-15-2017 16:26
That is a great achievement on his part just to get to where he is now.  And I second Yojimbo's comments. 

I have worked with a few people with physical limitations through the years but those with the proper attitude, spirit, and character didn't let it stop them.  Many made it drive them to higher levels although that can also be a negative if they refuse to accept any help around the workplace because they don't want people to think they can't do it themselves. 

Remember, we all need help on occasion and even if we CAN do it by ourselves it is faster, easier, and safer with help.  Don't be too proud to ask for and/or accept help. 

You may have to start low on the employment ladder sometimes and EARN the respect of others but it will come.  You just be you and do your best under all circumstances.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 03-15-2017 19:00
I worked for several years in a metal building frame shop with a guy with a shriveled right arm.
At one time or another, he worked every job in the shop, from parts cutting, fitting, welding, material handling, painting to shipping.
He was our most well rounded employee and I wound up promoting him to be the shop Foreman.
At no time whatsoever did he allow being one handed to slow him down in the slightest, nor did he require any special consideration or extra assistance that was not needed by anyone else in the shop.
I suppose his lack of handicap was mostly due to his attitude, determination, mental and physical strength.
Your son can do anything he puts his mind to, though it may require some extra effort on his part.
Welding is a great career path, or career start, for him or anyone else.

Respectfully,
Tim Gary
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 03-17-2017 03:03
Hi Jenn.

As many have pointed out - this IS a viable career path. (Regardless of limitation, almost anything is!)

Another track to consider is - if your son is technologically savvy - highly automated welding.  Have him learn the basics but also work with robotic programming, orbital pipe welding, etc.  One can do very well with the adaptation to techonology!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-20-2017 21:00
Sounds like your son is an extraordinary young man. Gotta feeling he's gonna be fine.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-21-2017 11:46 Edited 03-21-2017 11:51
Jenn,

I was a technical college instructor in Wisconsin for many years.

I might know some people to introduce you to.

Here is the best contact I know.  Ms. Sue Silverstein (silverss@matc.edu)  She teaches at the Milwaukee Technical College (MATC) I hold her in the highest regard.  She has been teaching for many years and also is a very accomplished metal artist.  Tell her Lawrence Bower from Blackhawk Tech sent you.

Here is her LinkedIn thing-a-ma-bob     linkedin.com/in/sue-silverstein-b5107720

If your Son's doctors do not see any compelling issue with him doing this, I have strong confidence that the technical colleges will go far out of their way to assist your son.

EVERYBODY has limitations.  If your son loves this, I think he will be able to carve out a place for himself in time.

Come back from time to time and keep us posted.

Here is my personal email if you have any questions or troubles  Bowerweld1@gmail.com
- - By wisconsinchick Date 03-26-2017 18:56
Thank You!  I enjoyed reading everything everyone said :)  My son is very determined and has an awesome personality which tends to make people not realize that he is only one handed.  Everything that was said has eased my mind that he can go into this field only one handed.  I know he welds at school, builds desks, cabinets, pours concrete and is currently working on building a shed and are working on a roof.  His teachers have said that he works better and harder than his two handed kids so I hope that he continues on in the future.

Thank You!!

Jenn
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-19-2017 17:54
You might also want to check out mikeroweworks.com.  He might be eligible for scholarship money.
Parent - By Mariia1990 Date 05-06-2017 13:03
Yep, thx u
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New member with questions