Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ask about the a516 grade 70
- - By sdjsblues Date 03-17-2017 06:30
hello,guys,
some days ago,my customers sent me some question:
there is a boiler in his mill,and something goes  wrong with the boiler part,so he need to repair it.he ask me if the astm a516 gr 70 steel plate is ok for him,and what is the maximan temperture of the a516 gr 70 steel plate can stand for.
is there somebody can give me a detail answer,better give me some properity tables.
thanks for all.
blues
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 03-17-2017 11:25
Not knowing the rest of the details behind this, I hesitate to make assumptions, other than to point out that:

For good reason, such as numerous boiler explosions and associated injuries, there are strict laws/regulations in the USA about who and how boiler manufacturing and repairs are done.
Good advice for your friend would be to first consult with the boiler manufacturer or someone competent with the ASME boiler and pressure vessel welding code.

Tim
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-17-2017 14:12
You are asking some pretty basic questions that would indicate neither you nor your customer should have anything to do with a repair of this kind. 

As Tim pointed out, pressure vessels such as boilers have high regulations and oversight and code acceptable practices.  Knowing the minimum preheat and the maximum temperatures are minor in the whole scope of the project and of such commonly available knowledge that if it must be asked here you need help that is truly qualified for the work. 

Contact the manufacturer, and engineer, and a competent company with the correct 'stamp' for doing the repairs.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By 803056 (*****) Date 03-19-2017 13:09
The company performing the repair would have to hold a "R" stamp issued by the NBIC. The repair calculations and proposed materials would have to be reviewed and approved by a PE and the insurance carrier's Authorized Inspector before any repairs could be initiated.

Boilers, at learst in the US, are usually governed by a state agency, thus there are legal requirements that must be complied with. There is little I have to offer if you or the boiler is not located within the US. When the boiler or other pressure vessels are covered by state that have adopted the ASME B&PV Codes, they are said to be Jurisdiction States. There are maps available on the internet if you do a simple internet search. Violations of the legal requirements can carry stiff fines and possibly jail time.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ask about the a516 grade 70