Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / chopper board
- - By lo-hi (**) Date 03-18-2017 12:45
A friend of mine has a commander 300 with a bad chopper board .Phone calls to Lincoln were not any help, and the general consensus is bad part no replacement. I posted in the classified section but thought I would try here. Cant seem to navigate the new forum and after several try's have lost interest. Have tried to jump through the hoops and told not authorized each time . Been a member over 20 years and dues are current  Thanks for any help with the part.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-19-2017 13:22
Your local Lincoln dealer should be able to help.

I don't know where you are located, but there are individuals that are trained to repair welding machines. Like you or me, they earn their living providing a service. They attended training courses offered by the manufactures so they know how to properly troubleshoot the machine and fix the machine. They paid to attend the training courses and they do so in the expectation they can charge for their services. If the machine isn't worth paying someone to fix it, it is time to purchase a new machine.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, there are real dangers with performing repairs if you don't know what you are doing. There is also liability involved, so many manufacturers will not sell certain parts that require trained people to install. It is a case of the manufacturer trying to protect themselves from legal actions and their customers from electrocution.

Al
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 03-20-2017 00:47
Al, I understand your concern and can relate to the reason that brings it. This a problem with the commandeer 300 that's pretty common and Lincoln says the part is obsolete, so do the vintage part people. I was just trying to help out a fellow welder or see if anybody else has gone down this road and found a solution. Thanks for the response , maybe someone out there has had the same problem and can give some pointers.  Perley
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-20-2017 03:40
Built in obsolescence, it sucks.
If you can pull the board, you might see indications of a burnt component. If you are good at soldering small components, you might be able to replace it.

Al
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 03-20-2017 21:50
Have you tried some of the repair outfits? (some will take in your board, repair and return, eg Innovat Corp. etc.)? However, if the board has been covered with resin, this is not possible.
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 03-21-2017 11:43
The original pc board is completely smoked back to the pin connector. If the part was available it would be a plug and play situation. I thought some of the other members were running the commander and just gave this a shot . Thank you for the response anyway. It seems that 4 or 5 years ago a question like this would have brought a little more activity.  Thanks again
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 03-21-2017 12:06 Edited 03-21-2017 12:26
These guys might have something if this isn't the right one. But, at this price, I would sure be certain that the original problem was eliminated before I plugged it in!

http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/lincoln-pc-bd-assembly-l11315-1-300-chopper-board/
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 03-21-2017 15:51
Thank you for the site,checked it out and no luck. The part no. is G3135-2 and didn't see it. I am on my second trailblazer, the first had over 4000 hours of trouble free welding and is now back up. The new 325 burns 3/16 7028 like butter. Hopefully its the last one I need.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / chopper board