Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welding operator qualification in 3G position aws d1.1
- - By Mayur (*) Date 03-22-2017 15:08
In Performance qualification section of Qualification chapter in AWS D1.1, only detail mentioned for welding operator qualification is "Qualification of a welding operator on plate in the 1 G (flat), or 2G (horizontal) position shall qualify the welding operator for welding pipe or tubing over 24 in. (600 mm) in diameter or plate for the position qualified, except that qualification in the 1 G position also qualifies for fillet welding in the 1 F and 2F positions, and qualification in the 2G position also qualifies for groove welding in the 1G position and for fillet welding in the 1 F and 2F positions." and nothing more for welding operator has been mentioned.

1) So, as per AWS D1.1, is machine or automatic welding limited to only 1G, 2G, 1F an 2F positions only???
2) May one qualify a welding operator for 3G ( vertical) position as per AWS D1.1? If yes, then in which position welding operator shall weld test coupon to be qualified welding operator in 3G ( vertical ) position?

Actually, I have to use AWS D1.1 as per contract, I plan to weld a long seam using machine FCAW welding process in 3G ( vertical ) position. May I qualify a welding operator for 3G position to weld by FCAW machine / automatic welding??? or, should I drop this idea to use machine FCAW welding and go for  semi-automatic FCAw?

Experts please respond.
Parent - - By Mayur (*) Date 03-23-2017 11:31
Experts respond.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-23-2017 20:58
You can do whatever you can by qualify the WPS by testing the procedure and recording what you did if the test results demonstrate you can meet the required mechanical properties.
Parent - - By Mayur (*) Date 03-24-2017 03:10
Thanking you very much for your response. Sir, my query is not for procedure (WPS) qualification, I want to know whether I may qualify a welding operator to weld in 3G ( vertical) position or nor?

If code allows me to qualify a welding operator in 3G ( vertical ) position, then in what position shall my welding operator weld test coupon for performance qualification?

Respond please.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-24-2017 12:30 Edited 03-24-2017 12:34
For welder performance qualification to 3G, the coupon needs to be positioned in a 3G position......this will qualify for welding in 1G, 2G, 3G 1F, 2F and 3F positions. (See Table 4.10)
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-24-2017 15:13
4.15.1.1 Welders and Welding Operators. The
qualified production welding positions qualified by a
plate test for welders and welding operators shall be in
conformance with Table 4.10
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-24-2017 20:55
The original post stated that D1.1 only addressed qualification of the operator in the flat or horizontal positions. My response was that if the WPS is qualified for vertical or overhead, the welders can be qualified in those positions.

I believe the individual posting the inquiry misinterpreted D1.1 and tables 4.10 and 4.12. I don't see the limitations mentioned by the original post.

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-24-2017 22:09
I didn't look into the operator vs welder....I read 3G and welder quals, so I ran to Table 4.10. LOL
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-24-2017 23:34
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 1F, 2F, 3F, 4F, ...... refer to test positions. The terms flat, horizontal, vertical, and overhead are the positions for a production weld as defined by figures 4.1 and 4.2.

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-25-2017 01:03
1G, 2G ...etc fit better in the limited space in my forms. LOL
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-25-2017 03:58
One more reason not to use the forms found in the New Farm Code.

Al:cool:
Parent - - By Mayur (*) Date 03-25-2017 10:15
Thank you very very much sir!!!

So, I conclude for my welding application that AWS D1.1 allows me to qualify a welding operator for mechanized ( machine / automatic ) FCAW process in 3G ( vertical ) position, if I qualify a WPS in 3G position for the same process and meeting all mechanical properties.

1) Is my conclusion correct??

2) May I go ahead with my plan to use mechanized FCAW process in 3G position and qualify five welding operator to operate the same machine welding process????

Thanking you again, sir and expecting the final go-no go ahead answer to make a decision whether to go for mechanized FCAW plan or not. SO, kindly respond me.

Regards,
Mayur

Learning from expers and applying the welding code knowledge is making me enthusiastic and more optimistic!!!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-25-2017 11:27
FCAW is prequalified if you meet all the prequalified conditions. In that case, you can run a few practice welds to find the best welding parameters for your application. The welding oerators would then simply demonstrate they can produce an acceptable weld if they follow your WPS. If you are welding fillets, then all the operators have to do is weld a T-fillet break test. If they are welding grooves, have them weld a groove.

That being said, it is important to trouble shoot the process so that the parameters that will produce the best results is determined before hand. I suspect the ranges will be somewhat limited to ensure acceptable results.

The qualification test will assure you the welders are familiar with and can operate the equipment properly.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welding operator qualification in 3G position aws d1.1