Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Torch problem
- - By rcwelding (***) Date 04-03-2017 14:58
I had one of my small Victor torches fall into some diesel.  Just the head fell in and not any of the valve body..   I have heard horror stories of any flammable substance coming into contact with pure oxygen and a flame.. I pulled the tip off and there is a thin diesel residue all inside the head.

How do I clean the head safely.. I am scared to death to light this sucker without more info..!!
Parent - - By americaniron (*) Date 04-03-2017 15:25
Soap and water soaking and rinse then repeated rinses in clean acetone.

That is what I would do, I am not a regulator repair professional, try calling one.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 04-04-2017 11:59
Contact Bill's, which is still in business, and still one of the best!

http://billswelderrepair.com/Torch_Reg.html
Parent - - By bbeer Date 04-12-2017 17:26
Diesels not flammable.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-12-2017 20:07
oil(hydrocarbons of any kind) and compressed oxygen are not to be mixed
http://miningquiz.com/pdf/Hazardous_Materials/DON'T_MIX_OXYGEN_AND_OIL.pdf
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-12-2017 23:48 Edited 04-13-2017 12:48
With gasoline you must watch the fumes for the most part.

And yes, there is a difference between combustible, flammable, flashpoints, and other features of various liquids as far as when and how it will ignite and/or burn.

But, say that to someone who has welded on a diesel tank and had it blow on them.  Terminology isn't the critical part of the equation when your life may be on the line. 

Brent

edit: I said what I meant, gasoline.  Just forgot to add that diesel ignites differently but as John mentioned, around Oxy it is serious.  So, a torch that has fallen into diesel, get it clean before using.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-13-2017 11:04
I remember all of the precautions the drivers would take when delivering bulk oxygen at my old employment. The concrete pad (couldn't unload over asphalt due to oil in the tar) had to be oil free, no parking the forklift there for fear of a drop of oil hitting the concrete. Just the pressure of someone's feet on the ground is enough pressure to start the reaction between the oil and oxygen.

Oil and Oxygen is no joke...it is a very real danger
- By 803056 (*****) Date 04-05-2017 01:40
Acetone soak, dry, isopropyl alcohol soak, ether flush.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Torch problem