Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Union
- - By bbeer Date 04-12-2017 18:32
I have been thinking about joining a union, and have been looking at Ironworkers. I'm about to graduate welding school but was thinking it would be more advantageous to join a union?  Can anyone give me some feedback about them and if it would be worth joining even though I'm about to be certified?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-13-2017 03:47
Being qualified does not mean you are going to land a high paying job or that the employer will provide additional training.

If you join a union such as the Ironworkers, apply for their apprenticeship. You will be paid a good wage, accrue pension benefits, have health coverage, and an opportunity to learn the trade. There is classroom training as well as on-the-job training. You will be exposed to most, if not all, aspects of the trade such as structural steel erection, rigging, and ornamental iron for bridges, building, powerhouses, and refineries. You will also have the opportunity to travel once you become a journeyman. 

Good luck in choosing a career path. The choices you make while you are young are a major influence on your life style and your quality of life. Think carefully of what your long term goals are. Long term is the secret.

Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-13-2017 11:51
There are some advantages and disadvantages to joining a union. I cannot speak for the Ironworkers. I was a member of the Boilermakers and USW.

Advantages
1) Representation by an organization that was originally designed to protect workers from unfair labor practices.
2) In the boilermakers, there was a greater number of people with training and experience in the trade. In non union situations, the training and experience level sometimes varied widely depending on "kinority". Friends or relatives hired with nothing more than a tool bucket.
3) A livable wage and then some was negotiated for us. This included a great base wage and then benefits on top of that.
4) A business agent that worked towards getting us on the job.
5) Better adhearance to safety awareness.

Disadvantages
1) Union Dues that contributed to a president with a wage and benefit package of over $700k per year.
2) No advantages for individuals with higher skill levels.
3) You are at the mercy of the projects being worked with organized labor. Boilermakers work is very profitable during certain times of the year. Other times but so much. Not sure about other organizations.
4) Noticed some preference given to individuals that were members of another organization as far as placement in supervisory positions. Or they almost all bought the same rings to wear.
5) Locals with large numbers may take awhile to get to you depending upon the "call list".  I myself never reviewed the list however based upon some experience, it was a "fluid document".
6) A wide variation in work ethics of individuals, some excellent, some were slugs..Both stay on the job.

Please understand that the observations above are only those one of soooooo many people in organized labor. I think workers should be organized at any opportunity.  The majority of the brothers and sisters I worked with both as a Boilermaker and USW member were excellent at their craft.

Remember..... Opinion!
Parent - By bbeer Date 04-13-2017 21:21
Thanks for the input guys, helped a lot.
- By Lewis87 (*) Date 10-27-2017 20:31
I've joined the Sheetmetal Workers Union after working about 8.5 yrs. in a non union shop. I've gained a lot of experience in the non union shop, but I definitely don't regret going union.

I would look at the various unions in your area and compare their benefits, pay scale, apprenticeship program, and what they weld.

I was, surprised/didn't know, how much welding the sheetmetal workers did in my area. My local welds material from light gauge up to over 1 inch thick, depending on the contractor that you work for. One contractor doesn't touch any work unless it's industrial or heavy commercial.

Any-who, I would recommend going union and going through their apprenticeship. In a nutshell, usually, you wont be able to beat their benefits and pay.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Union