Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Best welding helmet safety-wise
- - By dahboss Date 04-16-2017 05:03
I've been tasked with making sure our welders are following all the important welding safety measures and wanted to get some opinions on what you guys think are the most important welding safety accessories. At our shop we make sure everyone's supplied with a good pair of leather welding gloves, welding boots and even a very slick welding jacket. I think probably the most important though is a good helmet.. so I was wondering what you guys think is the absolute best welding helmet? Has anyone tried any of these welding helmets? I was thinking of getting the Viking or Hobart for each of our welders.

Thanks for the help!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-16-2017 13:49
I have never worn a welding helmet that "fit like a glove."

The auto darkening helmets should have four sensors to ensure the lens darkens even if there is no direct line of sight as is the situation when welding in a deep groove.

Regardless of the welding process, the larger the viewing area, the better for most applications.

Light weight is usually better. It places less strain on the neck. Auto darkening lens reduced neck strain from repeated movements of the head to flip the helmet down every time the arc is struck.

Most of my welding is performed in the field where a hard hat is mandatory, so a hard hat and helmet that attaches to the HH is a must.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-17-2017 13:18
Much depends on process and position.

As Al mentioned, light weight helmets are nice, welders like them.   However if you are using a high heat process or welding in the vertical or overhead position, you need a helmet that is designed for that kind of production work.

Most of the fancy lightweight welding hoods have a big red sticker attached right to the inside of the hood that says "Not Rated For Overhead Welding"

I've warned literally hundreds of people about this, usually they ignore the warning and warp, melt, and blast holes in their new $400 hoods in a matter of days.

The moral of the story is that there is more to consider when examining the hood when it comes to safety than ergonomics.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-17-2017 13:56
Al and Lawrence have both given you some good truths for picking out helmets. 

Another thing to consider is weather or not the auto darkening hoods are right for your application. 

I love my Jackson 3 in 1.  But, there are times I change to my old style with a flip up regular shaded lens.  Especially if I need a larger viewing area.  The Next Generation 3 in 1's are really great hoods.  But they won't fit every need.

Now, another point in the auto darkening, they are heavier with the added weight of the lens unit.  But, the hoods themselves have gotten so light you don't generally notice.  And, that will depend upon position, time, and other factors that only you will know for sure.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Leonoro Date 04-30-2019 17:37 Edited 05-28-2019 07:48
My future business is all about welding, and I want to secure the protection of my welders. How can I pick the right best budget welding helmet ? Is the quality of low priced is better than the expensive one yet it is the same?
Parent - By Robert Austin Date 01-04-2020 21:48 Edited 01-05-2020 20:51
Lincoln electric that created 3350 helmet series has very profound work experience in creating comfortable and optimal fit welding helmets that give the customer a very profound sense of relaxation and eye safety. Lincoln Welding helmet, black, 3350 series comes in 10 eye-catching styles and contains a much colorful range from standard black welding helmets to noticeable and strikingly stylish zombie helmets. This welding helmet that came from Lincoln Viking

This eye-catching and striking helmet as some auto-darkening features and apart from that this Lincoln 3350 series helmet provides a very profound and excellent optical clarity because of the fact that it has cutting-edge 4C lens technology and very giant viewing area that allows all head lateral movements.

for more information visit: https://weldingjudge.com/
- - By weldguy420 Date 06-26-2019 22:21
Man, welding helmets have come a long way since I started welding. I feel like you used to get an old war cap and now you have auto tinting options, full face venerated options that run off solar etc. It is nice to see the advancement in eye protection from a fabricators stand point. My wife would always say take care of your eyes you only get on pair...that is no lie:eek: The options for this younger generation is endless. I think these are probably the coolest  options I've ran across but worth every penny when it comes to making sure you are fully protected! https://weldinginsider.com/best-welding-helmet/:cool::cool::cool::cool: Weld on my friends.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 06-27-2019 11:50
Hey weldguy,
Welcome to the Original AWS Welding Forum.

Time to hang your old 5lb helmet on the wall.  The one that tenderized your collar bone all those years.

Tyrone
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-28-2019 10:44
We've been talking about protecting the eyes from the arc, but what about the lungs?

If I had to earn a living burning wire once again, I think I would spring the money to purchase a helmet that also supplied fresh filtered air for a couple of reasons. The first being that filtered air protects the lungs. I can't recount how many doctors have told me I need to stop smoking. I've never smoked in my life, but a lifetime of breathing fumes seems to have a similar affect. The second point would be the cool air blowing across the face beats sweat running into your eyes any day.

Al
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 07-02-2019 11:13
Agreed Al,
Safety is one thing this company doesn't skimp on.  Everyone has fresh air breather (air line or battery operated).
The boys are happy in the summer time.

Tyrone
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Best welding helmet safety-wise