Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder and Marine ?
- - By strother (***) Date 04-22-2017 00:28
Hello everybody I haven't post anything for quiet a while but I need some input. My 14 yr old son wants to be a Marine he also wants to be a welder. He is a smart and motivated kid and more mature than most kids his age. What I am wondering is which one should he pursue first or is there a way to do both at the same time?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-22-2017 14:11
As I recall most branches have welding applications to various jobs you can get into EXCEPT the Marines.  You have to go Army, Air Force, or Navy to get into welding while actually serving in the military. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-22-2017 16:55
Brent, are you saying the Marines break'em and the Navy fixes'em?

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-22-2017 21:39
LOL.

I wouldn't say the Marines don't have ANY welders, but I was pretty sure they didn't have an actual MOS for welding.  But, others do. 

BTW, the Marines pretty much put welders in a 'Basic Metals' group.  They do a lot of  mechanical on heavy equipment according to a couple of articles I found.

Below was an interesting article about welding in the different branches.  Short but informative. 

https://www.bakersgas.com/weldmyworld/2011/05/08/welding-careers-in-the-military/
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-22-2017 23:21
Nice article.

Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-24-2017 01:17 Edited 04-24-2017 01:26
Marines do welding!

They do "I" level weld repairs at AIMD's both on land and shipbord, and even some depot level stuff at NARF facilities on all the aircraft and helicopters that they operate.

The work side by side with Sailors, They receive advanced training at both Cherry Point and Jax at least as far as I remember.

Get certified in an aerospace process (GTAW) before talking to recruiters...  Then make sure the advanced aerospace schooling for the welding he loves is in his CONTRACT BEFORE HE ENLISTS.

If he does not have the romance of aviation in his heart and wants to do structural welding... Join the Navy CB's

BTW  The MOS for Marine Corp  is Aircraft Welder, 6043

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-us-marine-lance-cpl-william-sutton-prepares-to-weld-a-ch-53e-super-129767734.html
Parent - By lou (*) Date 04-05-2018 21:22
Actually the Marines have another MOS for welding.  Its 1316 - Metal Worker.  I was one and your job is a welder/fabricator.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder and Marine ?