Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Pipe to plate weld AWS D1.1:2015
- - By Michael Simone Date 04-27-2017 14:43
Hello guys,

I need your help on the AWS D1.1:2015 understanding. I didn't find anything suitable on the forum or on the net.

I have to design a welded connection between a pipe (Outer diameter 1580mm) and two flanges.

I have trouble finding the correct category in the AWS. The definition of tubular connection according to annex K is: structure that contains two or more intersecting members, at least one of which is a tubular member.

According to this definition, I assume that I'm in the tubular connection case. However, all examples in this section (clause 9), show tubular to tubular connection, so I'm not sure.

Has anyone ever done a pipe to plate connection and can help me with my problem ? I'm a little lost.. Hereafter is a pic of my structure.

Thanks a lot guys !
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-28-2017 13:10
Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but there are provisions for T joints both fillets and CJP for HSS to plate.

Take a peek at:

Clause 9.5 for design

9.12.2   For groove and fillet WPS/Performance qualification

Also have a look at Fig 9.15 & 9.16  Detail B
Parent - - By Michael Simone Date 05-04-2017 09:04
Thanks for the help,

I finally had the idea to modify the part in order to do a pipe to pipe weld, and that solves my problem :smile:

Thank you again
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-04-2017 15:06
A sketch would make life so much easier. We would have a better idea of what you have to contend with.

A flat plate welded to the end of the plate? There are so many possibilities.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Pipe to plate weld AWS D1.1:2015