Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / I'm a 52 yr old female who wants to be a welder
- - By imreallynice22 Date 05-30-2017 20:14
Hello,

I am considering a career change.  I would like to know if welding would be suitable for a 52 year old woman.  I am in-shape, intelligent and willing to learn.  Is welding for women? Is my age a factor?  Please advise!  Thank you.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 05-31-2017 11:34
Welding is a great skill to have, and a great career choice, regardless of age or sex.
The only limiting factors are eyesight and hand/eye coordination.
Being mentally able to disregard burns is also very helpful.

All welders have different inherent skill levels, and learn the skill at different rates. Some are naturals, who seem to be able to create perfect welds, every time, regardless of circumstances. Some have to try as hard as they can, every time, to make a usually acceptable weld. For the most part, I've seen that females have better inherent skills than most men, so it's easier for them to learn to make quality welds fairly quickly.

The thing about welding is that the welder has to be where the weld joint is located, whether they're sitting in a chair in a weld booth, or having to drag all of their equipment with them while crawling through a double bottom of a ship, or climb to the top of a cell tower.

Picking up welding is a viable and lucrative career choice. However, be careful about what jobs you take afterward.

Tim
Parent - By imreallynice22 Date 05-31-2017 14:27
Thank you Tim. I appreciate your comments.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 06-02-2017 11:03
Welcome to the Original AWS Forum,
There are many different types of welding jobs out there, pipe, beams, automotive, art etc. From small one man (or woman) operations to large corporations.   All requiring different skill levels (good thing since people are all different).  It's a matter of learning, training, practicing and finding which weld job suits you.
Above all, motivation.  Have the right frame of mind and you can absolutely become a welder regardless of gender, age and intelligence.
Parent - By Linda Smith Date 10-13-2017 15:52
My mother is your age and she is also a welder :smile:
- - By Mechanicrobin Date 12-04-2017 01:22
Whatever you 15 or 50, and whatever you male or female, you really want be, you will be
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-10-2017 20:00
You get out of life no more than you put into it. Welding has been good to me and my family, but it has to be your passion, not just a paycheck.

My question is why do you want to be a welder? Just for the money or because you find the idea of putting two pieces of metal together intriguing? If it is the latter, you'll be happy with the discovery of a new skill and a new job. If it is simply for the money, the luster will soon wear off.

I hope you find it as satisfying as I have.

Al
Parent - By vanbang2cdduoc Date 09-12-2018 09:09
like. Great!!!
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / I'm a 52 yr old female who wants to be a welder