Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Qualifying a Procedure as per AWS D1.6
- - By RodandArc Date 05-31-2017 14:11
Greetings,

I'm only a year into my career as a welder so I am unfamiliar with qualifying welding procedures.

My current project is welding 54" stainless steel pipe butt straps using GMAW stainless steel wire but I'm not certified for that process.  I was informed to test/certify for that process I would need to qualify a procedure as per AWS D1.6.

Being that I'm the only welder/fabricator on this project, I've been tasked to research this and present it to my Project Manager for review.

Or my PM will just contract out the work and I'll be looking for a new job.  :eek: :eek:

Can someone, anyone explain to me, in a nutshell, the process to qualify a procedure as per AWS D1.6?

Thank you.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-31-2017 14:37
Yikes!, that is a lot to throw onto someone's shoulders.
Try to locate a lab that will help you with performing the mechanical testing. (ie. tensile pulls, bend testing, etc.)
Unless you have the testing equipment and a machine shop at your disposal to perform all of this in-house, I would find a lab that can help with all of that.
I don't have a copy of D1.6 handy at the moment so I can't help guide you through the entire process right now.

Maybe someone will chime in that has a copy of D1.6 handy to reference.

PS. If you are the welder who welds out the procedure test coupons, if the testing passes, so do you for the positions, thicknesses, process used...etc.
Parent - - By RodandArc Date 05-31-2017 14:51
Unfortunately, I do not have the testing equipment in house.  AFAIK, the nearest testing facility for any SS processes is 3 hours away but I have sent out a request to my former welding school administrators for more information on local availability for testing. 

I am certain I will be the welder who welds out the procedure test coupons. 

Thank you for the response.

R.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-31-2017 14:57 Edited 05-31-2017 15:00
Are you the welding contractor on the project or are you an employee of the contractor or subcontractor?

Welds are not generally tasked with the qualification of a WPS unless they are the welding contractor.

One additional consideration; D1.6 has provisions for prequalified WPSs. You may be able to write a prequalified WPS and then qualify to the the prequalified WPS.

Al
Parent - - By RodandArc Date 05-31-2017 15:05 Edited 05-31-2017 15:13
I am currently employed by the subcontractor/company.

I believe the contractor wants to ensure that whoever welds the project is indeed certified.

We had an issue last year.  A superintendent who is or used to be a welder, tried to weld similar 54" pipe butt straps SMAW 1/8" electrodes in a tunnel 120 feet underground.  He pretty much pooped all over it and we had to pull it out of the tunnel and send it to a local machine shop to be cleaned up and welded.  That cost the company a pretty penny.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-31-2017 18:30
Qualification is the responsibility of the contractor doing the work. That includes qualifying the WPS (if not prequalified) and the welder. It should not be an out-of-pocket expense of the welder. If it is, that is one employer you should avoid at all cost!

Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-31-2017 20:18
^^^^^^^
What
He
SAID
Parent - - By RodandArc Date 05-31-2017 23:43
The company will be paying.  I'm just trying to get the Project Superintendent to understand that we need to qualify the WPS before I test for the process.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-01-2017 00:44
What are the particulars, i.e., base metal alloy, grade, thickness, welding process, filler metal, etc. There is a good chance the WPS can be prequalified and the process will be more streamlined. A prequalified WPS is one that does not have to be tested saving time and money. The welder, you, have to follow the WPS while taking your qualification test.

Good luck - Al
Parent - By RodandArc Date 06-01-2017 00:51
AFAIK,

Base metal 304 stainless
Grade - unsure
Thickness - 3/8"
Welding Process - MIG
Filler Metal 316L .045 wire
Shielding gas - Trimix

I'll get more details and maybe even some pictures in the morning.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-31-2017 20:35
Either we have a communication/interpretation issue here or something is not passing the sniff test. 

Somehow the way it appears to come together with your job hanging in the balance does not make sense.  The wrong people are requiring other wrong people to qualify the procedure and welder and basically passing the buck. 

Making sure the welder is properly qualified is one thing but the process is not supposed to be this complicated.  Human beings always try to make everything more complicated thinking they are making it simple and protecting themselves.  And, it always comes down to money.  No one wants to be the guy paying for the testing out of his portion of the "PROFITS". 

Maybe I read something wrong. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-01-2017 13:17
Not sure what "butt straps" are, but large diameter pipe is often fabricated from ASTM A240 material. The 304 is the specific alloy, i.e., austenitic stainless steel. You will most likely use ER308 or possibly ER308L filler metal. GMAW using pulse spray transfer is probably a good choice for all position work. SG-HeAC-7.5%-2.5% is the gas I often see for austenitic stainless when using GMAW, but I've qualified using SG-AC-5% to 10% as well. 

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Qualifying a Procedure as per AWS D1.6