Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / CWI Part A question
- - By ketanjs1 (*) Date 06-09-2017 04:40
Hi there, I am giving a test of CWI in December this year. I have a question of what kind of question is asked in Part A whether the questions are asked from welding inspaction technology​ Book or from out of book someone says me that 60% questions are asked from out of book... and what kind of tricky questions they ask if u have any material releted this that can help me please share with me on ketanshah254@gmail.com
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-09-2017 06:26
Very few of the questions will come from sources outside of the WIT book.  A good understanding of the material contained in the WIT book will pretty much insure that you pass that portion of the exam.  This will be covered very well on Tuesday and Wednesday of the seminar preceding the exams. 

There are no trick questions, and yet, every question on any test involving multiple choice question/answers is a trick question.  Some questions will contain answer selections in which more than one are correct, but one is much more correct and complete in its form.   They will give you practice questions during the seminar.  There is a separate workbook with the WIT book that if you buy ahead of time has many practice questions to help you learn the material.

Good luck.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ketanjs1 (*) Date 06-09-2017 06:34
Thank you for answering my questions and yes I have found the WIT workshop book. The questions have been easy for me and what is your opinion about part B
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-09-2017 08:56
The new one is quite a challenge.  Download the Book of Specs and get familiar with it asap.  Make sure you know how to use the tools in the toolkit.  You can find a list of them online.
Parent - - By ketanjs1 (*) Date 06-09-2017 09:07
Absolutely right....btw currently I'm working on part A  I will search on web as u said.. and if you​ provide link than it will be helpful for me and other also

As I expected I got fast response from you. And thanks for those motivational lines
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-09-2017 22:56
I should probably revise my statement about 'very few questions coming from sources outside the WIT book'.  Let me put it this way, you can find the information that you will need in many sources AS WELL AS IN THE WIT BOOK.  The Welding Handbooks vols 1&2, the Welding Inspection Handbook, The Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors, etc will all have the information in them.  And, sometimes it works very well to purchase one of them as they are not one of the reference books included in the cost of the AWS Seminar Week.  So you study that for your info and then add the WIT book that will be handed to you at the seminar and now you have two references with all the information sometimes just worded a little different. 

BUT, the WIT book used during the seminar has more than enough of the pertinent information that if it is your only reference and you learn it well you will pass the Part A just fine.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 88vmx12 Date 06-22-2018 19:33
It seams that I have continually heard over the years before taking my CWI Exam  "Trick Questions".  When in reality it truly is (to a certain extent) "trick answers". After taking the exam I came to the conclusion, if you don't completely read each potential answer. You have a pretty high chance of failing. There are many questions that look close to the correct answer, however it is not the correct answer. So I think the correct term is "trick questions".  I hate to take AWS's side on this, yet ultimately I think they are wanting to make sure that you can get the information required from the code correctly!

just my 2 cents
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-23-2018 01:16
I've always said it is an English comprehension test. Do you know what you just read says? The functionally illiterate are going to flounder. You have to read each question carefully and read each response just as carefully. I always told my students to write a T or and F beside each response. When you have to T's, look to see what is different. If one response is correct only when certain conditions (that aren't included in the response) is true, but the other response is always true, the correct answer is the one that is always true.

Al
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-25-2018 13:24
Correct

jrw159
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / CWI Part A question