Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / 7018 open root test
- - By Shipyard Dawg Date 06-12-2017 02:20
Just wondering how common a 7018 open root test is.  A lot of men have busted out on a test they have at work, especially the 4g.  3/8 plates 30 degree double bevel; 2,3,4g test; 1/8 gap, 1/8 landing.  Has anyone else taken a test like this?  Very critical of the root, and no weaving, stringers only.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-12-2017 04:47
It is too bad that so many companies have an ego to satisfy and think that they can just require any test they want to. 

While that is not a D1.1 qualification test, nothing prohibits an employer from setting up any form of test they want to make sure employees can handle the work that will be assigned to them. 

Yes, it is a very difficult test.  Not sure I could do it anymore.  Been too many years.  There is truly very little good reason to utilize this test as there are very few times when it is used.  But, I don't know enough specifics to say it is out of line. 

I have even seen it given with a razor edge, no 'land', very little gap. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 06-12-2017 15:13
Is it common? Depends on where you work and in what fields. 'Common' in industry - doubt it. Common where I work - very. All our internal welders must pass their pipe qualifications with low-hy roots, fill and cap for pipe to ASME IX and API 1104 appendix B depending on if you work in the fossil fuels or pipeline. Our 'building trades' welders have to pass a heavy wall 2", & XXS 6" (two of each). Can either use E7016 or E7018. Pipeline welders, 12" butt/branch on .250" wall and a 12" sleeve (seems and circumferential fillets). All production welds have the same criteria. Pain in the arse, yes. We work with some of the UA locals and the apprentice programs. What works best for us is a heavy root face (3/32 to an 1/8), root opening about the same (heavy 3/32). For the root, favor to bottom 3rd of the amps listed in the WPS - tight arc length. Should give a voltage reading in the high teens to low 20's. 3/32" electrodes is what the welders gravitate to although the procedure allows for 3/32 or 1/8. In our fossil fuel facilities this has been a requirement dating back to the 60's. For our pipeline maintenance it only dates back to 2009. Neither of these allows for EXX10 root passes and all Butt joints are single V groove welds with no backing or back welding - except for the sleeve of course. Now, for the pipeline welding we don't really have a choice. But in the fossil fuels it does seem a little ridiculous.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-12-2017 20:41
Yep, I zigged when I should have zagged. 

What code and application?  With you doing plate tests I just jumped into D1.1 but that is not necessarily the case.  Even if you aren't welding pipe there can be several other factors here. 

Need more info.

Brent
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 06-15-2017 21:20
Practice with the open root with 3/32 15 or 16 ~ no iron powder vs. 18 / less fluid weld pool. Be careful of choice of 18 some are very fluid. Practice with a square wave ac (like the Miller Syncrowave) with dig/arc force control at maximum and amperage a bit lower than normally used. Again practice and when accomplished with ac; than weld with DCEP. Short tight arc length works the best. Side to side  motion walking the arc into the root (not a weave / just a side to side / forcing the arc left and right or right and left onto the root face)
- By aneesurrahman Date 10-17-2017 09:33
Hello
if material is to be weld P1-P4 , Can we use the ER-70S3 and E7018

Regards
Anees
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / 7018 open root test