Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / AWS D1.1 group for API 5CT K55
- - By 4691scotte Date 07-08-2017 23:36
I can't find API 5CT K55 listed in the AWS D1.1 groups anywhere. Trying to write a WPS for 1" A572-50 [D1.1 group II} base metal to 7" API 5CT K55 casing without having to qualify it. Does anyone know if this material has a group listing? Thank you in adavance.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-09-2017 02:53
I'm afraid you are out of luck there.  Your casing is basically an ASTM A519 which also does not show up in D1.1.  A PQR will be in order to qualify the connection. 

You might try seeing if it can be done to B2.1 and then see if the engineer would buy off on it that way.  I don't have mine with me so I can't check it out.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-09-2017 17:25
I didn't find it listed in B2.1:2011, so a PQR is in order.

Al
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-09-2017 23:44
gentlemen,
what is the EOR thinking?:evil::twisted::wink::confused:
if they are thinking:razz::evil::cry::twisted::wink:
do a project and have NO idea how?:eek::yell::roll::sad::mad::cry::surprised:
know what your doing before you start:wink::yell::cool:
I have done a few projects similar
it paid alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:cool::grin::smile::yell:
thereby it cost ALOT of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:eek::evil::twisted:
ask the EOR what is the budget?
work from that
it can be done......but it costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$
sincerely,
Kent
- By TRowe (*) Date 07-10-2017 18:58
As others have stated you are more than likely not going to find K55 casing listed and you will probably need to qualify your procedure using the chemical composition (MTR's) of your materials. Casing is a different "beast" to work with and most of the casing manufacturer's will tell you not to weld on it. I know because I have asked several of them about welding on their casing and they said it wasn't advisable.

Several years back we were tasked at developing welding procedures for many different grades of casing for the installation of well heads (new installations and replacements) and casing extensions at the well head. The different grades we worked at developing procedures for consisted of J55, K55, N80, and P110, to name a few. Casing has a higher carbon content and all of our procedures are based on the CE % and Brinell Hardness of the material being welded, and some do require PWHT. We found this was the only way to get them approved by the "Engineer(s)" for the oil companies. We now have 7 procedures that cover the different grades of casing materials we encounter.

Now, our situation may be a little different than yours because a vast majority of these wells were drilled back in the 1950's and the paperwork has not survived the years making it difficult to know what the CE of the existing material we would be welding, so we perform a spark test and hardness test prior to welding. These results determine which procedures we are to follow. Also, we are welding casing to casing following ASME B31.3, not AWS D1.1. 

Situations and codes to follow may be a little different but the material(s), not so much. 

Hope this helps
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / AWS D1.1 group for API 5CT K55