Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / catalytic converter
- - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-10-2017 11:35
ok
who has welded one to the exhaust system?
filler used?
process used? thinking GMAW?
what is base metal of the converter?
looking for some help
thank you
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-11-2017 20:39
GMAW?

I thought you gas welded everything above water Kent

OFW will typically leave a much more ductile weld than GMAW on sheet and thin tube, which on an exhaust system that is subject to vibration might be beneficial  :)
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-14-2017 20:08
Lawrence,
started using SMAW in the 1930's
and GTAW, FCAW and GMAW in the 1960's
so I do evolve:twisted::evil::razz:
but I think your correct on vibration
maybe a brazing job
Mr. Wright
exhaust is mild steel:eek::cry::confused::sad:
may just go whole new system
it is a 2002 Chrysler Concorde
thank you gentlemen:cool::yell::grin:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-11-2017 23:59
While I agree with Lawrence's assessment, most muffler and other shops doing mufflers I have been in over the past 20 years are increasingly using GMAW with 70S electrode.  The material is nothing special but with the aluminized coating can cause the weld to be a little brittle. 

Main problem is, nobody teaches OFW anymore and we even discuss the merits of having it as part of a welding curriculum in our trade schools.  Also, higher liability with open flames around fuel tanks and other flammable materials prevalent on automobiles and farm equipment. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-12-2017 10:55
What material is the exhaust made of? My 04 3500 Silverado has a factory SS exhaust system that looks almost as new as the day it was picked up at the dealer.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-12-2017 11:29
Good point I for some reason blew off... Material type :)

I did some consulting work for Cummins in Wisconsin years back.  They used a ferritic stainless steel for their catalytic systems on DOD vehicles.   I don't remember much more than that...  Oh.. I did get rid of their spatter problem and increased cycle times.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-12-2017 20:05
IIRC the flanges on my converter are some sort of cast material with a SS shell covering. The exhaust tubing is all SS and still looks new.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-13-2017 01:00
Hadn't thought about the SS ones.  Most of the time exhaust systems are alumunized steel I believe.  Welds pretty easy since the alum is just a thin coating similar to having a glav coating. 

Besides, chevy had to use SS since that is all that poor truck has going for it...LOL. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / catalytic converter