Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / lo-hy on a/c
- - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-15-2017 09:58
is just myself
or does lo-hy SMAW rod run smoother on a/c?:confused::eek:
I know the science reasons....but why do manufacturers put dc+ is best?:confused::eek::twisted::razz:
well Lincoln, Hobart, ESAB, etc in your court:razz::yell::evil:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-15-2017 16:38
I know the Skills USA folks us AC for their E7018 open root pipe and plate welds.

I know AC will often mitigate arc blow.

But I would think AC might also create a "softer" arc with slightly less in the way of a penetration profile...  This would be a benefit on lighter material where burn-thru is an issue... It might work the opposite for thicker material or procedures that demand a very specific perpetration profile that was attained with DCEP.

I still have an old AC only Lincoln tombstone buzz box in my garage that I at one time used with special 7018AC electrodes... Now it just sits, dormant, silent,, waiting for an opportune moment.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 08-07-2017 20:57
AC welding of E7018 works best with a high open circuit voltage. The limited wattage weld output machines with multiple range taps (2 or more). The lowest range to get the required amperage would provide the highest open circuit voltage. A check with an AC voltmeter would confirm the higher open circuit voltage. The AC 7018 has lower voltage  ionization elements in the flux coating. A number of AC "buzz" boxes (welders) were equipped with high voltage high frequency arc starters for difficult to start and maintain an arc with SMAW. The initial offering was not for GTAW but for SMAW.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-15-2017 22:10
Kent,

What are you up to now?  Always trying to cause some kind of trouble with the powers that be.  LOL. 

Smoother is not always Better. 

As Lawrence points out, you must consider arc characteristics for penetration, spatter, and other side issues. 

Then, again as pointed out, most do make a 7018 AC electrode.  But, I believe most all of them WILL work on AC, but the AC formula works even better on AC. 

Been a LONG time since I even tried running 7018 on AC.  Now I will have to try it just to see.  You always find a way to give me more projects.  I haven't even finished my last one yet though I don't think it was you that started that discussion. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-16-2017 03:46
Brent,
me cause trouble??????????????:eek::evil::twisted::red::wink::surprised::lol:
I do need a hobby:cool:
and I like this forum best
best people are here:cool::yell::smile:
and makes me think about all the GREAT people not with us:cry::sad:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-17-2017 03:47
Amen.