Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Farm Code Tank Welding
- - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-18-2017 16:39
Seeking experienced advice.  I was contacted by a plant manager at a local asphalt plant to build and install about 800 LF of 3" product line.  We walked it down, discussed some aspects of the job and left it there while he consulted with corporate regarding available budget.  6 miles from the house, no loss either way.  Same guy calls me last week to look at a tank that needs repairs.  Tank is about 10' diameter X 35' tall.  It is an asphalt tank.  There are multiple scabbed on plates for patches from former repairs.  Some of these repairs have welds so ugly you wonder how they even stuck to the tank.  Nuff said.  The tank has 4 "leaks".  3 of the leaks are from the edge of one of the aforementioned patches seeping product through the bad welds.  1 of the seeping leaks is immediately adjacent to an original horizontal weld seam on the tank.  This seam has numerous former patches that are not leaking.  There is no patch at the seeping leak on the original weld seam they want repaired. 

The plant manager wants to pump down the product from the tank, solvent clean the seeping asphalt from the outside of the tank, "blanket" the inside of the tank with steam [I guess it's his idea of a purge] and have me do the repair welds to stop the seeping leaks. They do not want to clean the inside of the tank.

My question is one primarily of safety concern:  Without cleaning the inside of the tank, the heat from the weld will in most probability further liquefy the residual asphalt in the tank.  Not sure of it's flash point, but certain it is well below the temperature of a weld arc.  There is no written safety procedure available to document this method and I'd much prefer not to die in a convergence of fire and thick black smoke.  Not to mention such a catastrophe would seriously hinder the beautiful view of Mt. Rainier the clear summer skies are allowing this summer.

Only even considering this relatively small undertaking to get my foot in the door for the larger job, but an early demise isn't in the bargain.

The technical end of the welds themselves are of small concern.  Going to treat it like any other farm code job: grind out the old, get some good metal down on it, tying into and overlaying the bad as required and stop the seeping.  If the weld heat draws asphalt into the weld, I've told them the likelihood of failure will increase.  As mentioned above- it is the safety issue I would like responses to.

Thank you in advance.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-19-2017 02:45
Cold fusion??  Eliminates the heat input so no flash point. 

LOL...

OH MY!  You get all the fun jobs. 

So, how are they doing this steam set up?  Would they be steaming and thus spraying with a moisture stream while you are welding on the outside?  That would help keep the heat down and wash away product as it was softening so it didn't have a chance to ignite. 

Beyond that, I need some serious brain activity time out here. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 07-19-2017 12:50
Yojimbo:

Back in the day, (many, many years ago!) I worked in a tank shop, repairing all types of flammable liquid tanks and drums. ALL were treated by steaming for 24 hrs (to 3 - 4 days, with larger tanks than the one you describe) and keeping the steam on while welding. If the interior is completely filled with water vapor there can be no explosion. However, those patches may enclose pockets of air and asphalt which could explode.

This tank's many leaks and previous repairs suggest that replacement is the correct path, since it must be badly corroded, and no repair will be permanent.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-19-2017 14:49
Northweldor,

Thanks for the input.  The owners do recognize the need for replacement.  They want to get another two years out of it they say.  Truth is, at that point they will probably find reasons to postpone further. Your point about pockets of air and asphalt are what concern me.  This little repair job is just pocket change- nothing I would want to risk my life on.  With a constant steam interior purge would you care to express your opinion on the safety percentage?  I know their position will be "We've done it before without incident".  Don't think I'm feeling that lucky.  Thoughts?
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-19-2017 14:51
I should mention, I also suggested they do the leak repairs with a high grade 2 part marine epoxy.  That stuff is tough as nails but I wonder how it would react to the 500 degree temps and the asphalt chemistry.  Thoughts appreciated.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 07-20-2017 12:49 Edited 07-20-2017 12:57
My experience with 20,000 gal. tanks, like the one you describe, is that after steaming for 3-4 days, we would open up the manhole and if a sniffer indicated it was safe, send someone in through the manhole, with air-supplied breathing  apparatus, to the leak area, to scale the inside to determine the extent of corrosion. If most of the tank was corroded badly, we would recommend replacement, or, refuse repair. If most of the structural thickness, was still intact, we would resume steaming, and cut out large sections, back to sound steel, and weld in new sections, rather than patch. ( I don't recall working on an asphalt tank, since most of these were oil, diesel, gasoline, or natural gas).

Since it sounds as though this is a very old, and poorly repaired tank, the owners would probably be better advised to spend 7-10 thousand on a used tank in their area, and get reliable service until replacement is necessary. (Newer tanks have outer insulation layers, and better heating systems, and operate  more economically).
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-20-2017 14:49
Northweldor-

Again, thank you for your insights.  The repair procedures you described are about what I would expect in a plant that was properly maintained with a comprehensive safety program in place.  The one I have been dealing with would not really fall into that category.  The owners have put off proper maintenance for what looks like the last 40 years- I mean like everything looks like it's leaking or falling apart and held together with shoe strings and duct tape, never one day further away from something breaking down needing an emergency and temporary fix.  I contacted an asphalt tank manufacturer yesterday and got to speak with a couple of guys there including their head welder/tank repair guy.  He assured me if the tank was brought down to cold, properly vented with a blower, the asphalt would be too cold to ever ignite vapors- the dangerous element.  He said I could expect smoke and small fires when welding but with the asphalt cold and no vapors there was no danger and he'd have no concern doing the repairs.  He did mention that if the tank had ever been used to store anything else [he mentioned diesel] then the repair were an absolute no go.  Considering the lack of controls in place at the plant, my lack of confidence in their safety program and maintenance and the unknowns of the tanks history I decided to take a pass.  I'll lose the larger job I was angling for, but didn't yet have, but not my life which I value a little more than a good paycheck.  They'll just have to find a welder hungrier than I am.  Thanks again.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-20-2017 16:35
Been following this thread....  Don't know enough to comment technically...

Glad you are taking a pass :)
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-20-2017 22:41
Lawrence-

Since it's my own thread I suppose I can jump to another issue and it's a question I think you'd have an answer to readily.  Being asked to weld some bracket supports to a stair guardrail.  The guardrail is old- historical library- the GC has no idea if the rail is steel or wrought iron and I haven't put a grinder to it to do a spark test [there are some existing legs that will be removed I can test on without damaging anything].  Checked the search bar some but haven't found my answer.  Can I weld an A36 mild steel bracket to wrought iron?  If so, can you advise on best approach?  Will be done in the shop.  Specs call out AWS D1.1 but I don't expect the Owner [City] is going to be too picky or require a procedure qualification [my assumption is they only need to know it's going to be strong enough for code loads ie. 200# in any direction].  Is this something that you can respond to?  Thanks in advance.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-21-2017 11:39
I hope Al Moore is following this...   He has more experience with old steel....  But that's to be expected because he I believe was actually around when the first iron meteorites were hammered into trinkets for the Pharos.

The whole D1 thing makes it complicated.... I can't think of a work-around for unlisted metals like you describe that excludes procedure qualification.

If it was in my front yard, I would do exactly what it looks like you are doing... Take some scrap cut from the thing and experiment...  It's possible that a even braze repair could be used if the iron won't weld.. and  could be painted or bees wax treated to look like original.

For old ornamental iron, I've used a pretty broad range of stuff, depending on what was at hand...  388, 309, Hastelloy W, for GTAW... A number of different *Eutectic* SMAW rods, silver braze with ox-fuel and GTAW with silver braze filler.

Sorry... That was a lot of words but not a lot of help.

Hopefully Al comes out of his cave
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-21-2017 22:55
Depending upon the decorative pieces, some are cast and some are just forged.  Most of either can be welded with a stainless or something like a 99 nickel.  They can also be brazed.  Many of the forged ones can be welded with any carbon steel electrode. 

I have not been around as long as Al, but I haven't seen too much in the line of railings that was actually wrought iron.  But, some of those older historic buildings have some pretty strange stuff on them.  And notice, I did say, not too much.  Yes, it is out there.

The choice will have more to do with after repair coloring and customer likes or dislikes. 

Many specs will call out a code just to have one on things like this because neither the city officials nor the engineer have a clue what it is or how to find out and just want someone with some level of competence.  Thankfully, they got you.  Thus, more than just 'some level' of competence.  Many that do much railing would just have done the bull in the china closet thing and buffaloed their way through then hoped for the best. 

Often, the decorative parts are not as critical for strength as the main frame, posts, and connection points.  As long as those are strong enough the space fillers are not usually as much of an issue.  And, there can be strengthening items put in place to reinforce them.  Without seeing it, pure speculation and opinion.  Yep, we know what that is worth.

Good luck.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-23-2017 15:41
Thanks for the input and feedback gentlemen.  Since the repairs are intended to replace existing posts and it is probable qualifying a procedure per code would be expensive at best and very possibly not successful in any case, it may not make sense to approach the problem by welding.  The railing [and the existing posts] are not degraded it is the post embedments that are loose in a degraded concrete stringer of the stairs.  I will likely recommend the GC pursue a change order to remove the rail whole from the concrete stringer and re-build the stinger with the existing railing and posts that can be poured in place instead of just patching the concrete at the spalling which is what is causing the railing to be loose.  Questionable welds at the posts do not serve any good purpose.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Farm Code Tank Welding