Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hardfacing
- - By Cookie Date 08-22-2017 23:00
Guys,
I'm doing some hardfacing work for a customer. I haven't done any hardfacing before so I don't know if I'm over thinking this problem or not. I'm looking for some guidance. The wire is Stoody 110-G .045. My problem is I feel like I have way to much spatter. It's to a point that I have to clean my nozzle after each long pass. My settings have ranged from 22-25 and 225-300ipm. Gas is 75%25% at 30. Does anyone have any suggestions or is this just normal for this wire. I hope it's something I'm doing wrong. Because this sucks. Thanks in advance for your help.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-22-2017 23:17
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 08-22-2017 23:51
Following up what Lawrence said. I would highly recommend getting away from 75/25 and going to 85/15 or 90/10
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-23-2017 01:41
The gas issue will probably be of help. 

My observation is that most hard surfacing electrodes I have used generate a fair amount of spatter.  Now, it sounds like yours is generating quite a lot.  And, the gas may help in that area.  BUT, don't be surprised if you continue to get spatter.

Been way too long since I ran stoody but most of them operate similar.  Are you using a good nozzle dip for protection?  Not a spray.  Personal experience is the dips work better for most nozzle protection. 

The better your WFS matches compared to your volts will ease the spatter as well.  Once you get the correct gas go back through your settings and try to tweek them a bit.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 08-25-2017 04:34
Try this:

(from our data sheet)

Current DCEP, amp 135 – 185
Voltage (volts) 18 – 24
Position Flat
Wire Extension, in (mm) 1/2" – 3/4" (13 – 19)
Shielding Gas 98% Ar/2% O2

There should be complete slag coverage on the deposit. The slag should be easily removed without the presence of secondary slag. The deposit should be smooth and uniform in appearance. The as-welded and ground surface of the deposit should be free from porosity, lack of fusion, cracks and slag inclusions.  Slight spatter is acceptable.

Hope this helps - if not, please post again!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hardfacing