Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Creative idea needed
- - By amalgam (*) Date 05-12-2003 04:55
I am going to use casters for my welding table. Now, I would like to mount these casters in a way that would allow me to move the table outside, then be able to take the weight off the casters so they don't roll around while I am working. So far, I have had some ideas, but all of them end up being a complex mechanical process that will take the fun out building a simple table to start doing projects quickly. Do any one of you have an easy and practical idea?
Thank you
Alfredo
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-12-2003 12:16
Alfredo,
Have you thought of mounting the casters on separate legs along with the main legs. This would allow for the caster to be adjusted up and out of the way and the table to rest on the main legs. I don't know how to explain exactly what I have used before, but it works. Here's where the pics would come in handy, huh?
John Wright
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 05-12-2003 13:06
You got metal legs? If so weld some nuts or plates (drilled & taped).
Screw in some heavy jack bolts you can run down and stop it from rolling.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-12-2003 13:51
This may be more complicated that you want, but you could weld some pipe sleeves to the legs for smaller diameter pipe legs to slide in. Then you could rig a toggle mechanism similar to a chain binder to push the legs down so the table would lift off the casters. You would need to lift the table only a fraction of a inch or so. If you want to get fancy, you could make one mechanism operate 2 legs.
The other way is to mount your casters on the movable legs so they push down to lift up the table and retract after your table is in place. Just make sure to make a safety catch so the table doesn't drop down when you least expect it.
As was mentioned, it's harder to describe it without pictures.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-12-2003 15:14
Like Ron said, I've seen that done (jack bolts) commercially on equipment that has casters, or casters with brakes that can be locked(lever on the wheel).

CHG,
I have a hard time explaining my thoughts as well, without pics.
John Wright
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 05-13-2003 12:06
Alfredo:

I think John Wright has the simplest way -castors with brakes- but I use two wheels outboard at one end and removable handles (parts of my jig arm) to pick up one end and wheel, as wheel-barrow. The two legs without wheels anchor the table.
Another simple set-up I have used is to hinge a pair of short legs with casters mounted outboard at each end. Attach a cable/chain tightening lever or ratcheting tie-down betwee the two pairs,and when tight,will lift the table onto casters. You can also use the same with the legs inboard (and out of the way) and construct levers and a pedal to push them out and lock them.

Good luck!
Parent - By dee (***) Date 05-14-2003 01:17
I liked several of the ideas I've read here and have used some of them myself. It might be worth your while to look at some table saw stands, perhaps at sears or something like that, to get some other ideas. Grainger and McMaster-Carr have a variety of equipment and even casters and load-moving gear that can serve as a fountainhead for ideas.

Good Luck & regards
d
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Creative idea needed