Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Question on Field Reports for Steel Inspection
- - By kbirney Date 08-31-2017 04:30
Question my company I work has started to edit my field reports and changing my reports. How is the process to make sure I am not now liable due to editing of my reports or how about bringing up the issue to my company that this is unethical?
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-31-2017 12:38
Hey kbirney,
There was a similar post a few years back about someone's boss altering their report.  There were some pretty good suggestions but I can't find it in Search.

Keep a copy of your original report and ask whomever is changing it to add their name and signature to the revised copy.  Be up front, let them know they are now liable if things go bad.

Tyrone
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-31-2017 14:48
Right on! Tyrone is offering good advice, make yourself a copy before you submit the report. Inform the party responsible for the alterations to add their name and show them the proper method of making changes. ie. strike through with a single line and then initial and date the changes.
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 09-05-2017 10:17
In what way is the report being changed? A company I worked for had us issue hand written reports and the company would type them off and send to the customer as an official copy. We used hand written carbon copies back then. Are they editing for typos and spelling and grammar? We also always kept a hand written copy of the report.
Parent - - By kbirney Date 11-08-2017 00:51
She is accepting items that are covered in concrete and items I have failed due to no access to at any point.
Parent - By Steelslinger (**) Date 11-08-2017 22:04
If you Print them to PDF, you can then go into Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) and sign them and lock them from editing.

I do this with all my reports, on top of I keep a copy on a thumb drive/memory card that stays in my possession.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 09-08-2017 08:23
Review of report by your supervisor is normal.

I assume that you are referring to your Supervisor, if your superior don’t understand your report and the content is incomplete or irrelevant, then he/she has the right to ask you for amendment.

There are times your report must be submitted immediately but you have no time of doing it quickly when you are busy at worksite. So amendment will be done by someone on your behalf but will need you to read for validation before sending the report to concern people.

I like my report to be read by someone better than me. If they understand the content clearly, then I have the confidence to face my customers in meetings. I don’t think you will gain respect from your client if your report writings are horrible.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-05-2017 13:40
It is not unusual for a company to write an official report based on the inspector's hand written report. The person typing the report using a word processor will correct spelling errors, grammar errors, punctuation, etc. This is a good thing based on what I've seen as reports submitted by many inspectors. "Literary giants we aint."

Just reading some of the posts here in the forum justifies the need to review and correct what is submitted by the field inspector. Usually, the retyped report makes us appear to be much smarter than we really are.

Correcting obvious errors is not a problem. Changing the material/information content can be considered a criminal act in certain circumstances.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By kbirney Date 11-08-2017 00:54
She is using my signature to sign off on items that have never been inspected and have been cover in concrete. It is not grammatical errors she is fixing. She is completely changing my report.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-08-2017 03:08
You can report her to the attorney general of your state. Materially changing a report or knowingly misrepresenting what was inspected is a felony in most states if there is federal or state money involved. Even misrepresenting the  inspector's findings is considered fraud at the very least.

Al
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 11-09-2017 01:37
Ok now I get your concern clearly. If this lady you're reporting to is just a co-worker, then you write your concern to your company director / president or someone above her position. State clearly those reports that have been forged. Don't say it bro, write it and keep your letter for your protection. Don't feel sad if you'll be terminated.. if not, just continue sending letter to the president while enjoying your salary. If you're terminated unjustly, then follow Al's advice.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 11-09-2017 12:15
I would start with one level above, her boss.  Clearly state what's going on, the fact that you informed her to cease and desist. Show examples.  Get commitment from the boss.  If not, document each step you took including talking to her boss and outcome.

If that doesn't work, Manager level, then Director level.

Write it all down.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Question on Field Reports for Steel Inspection