Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Grinding Aluminum
- - By Tebben842 Date 09-12-2017 23:37
Hey guys,
I spend time grinding large quantities of aluminum occasionally. I was wondering if I should be wearing a respirator? If I should be, what brand would you suggest?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-13-2017 02:25
Particles of any kind can cause damage to the lungs, irritate the throat, etc. A good quality dust mask will probably help.

Al
Parent - - By Tebben842 Date 09-18-2017 17:35
Thank you for your input.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 09-18-2017 18:13
Al is right of course, a good dust mask is all you need for grinding dust.
However, keep in mind that:
For welding aluminum, you should use a specialty respirator made for that type of weld fume.
For grinding aluminum, you must use a specialty abrasive made for the task. Ordinary grinding wheels made for steel can clog and become overloaded when used on aluminum, which can end in failure or detonation.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-18-2017 18:37 Edited 09-18-2017 19:33
Good point Gary.

Grinding disks used for ferrous metals typically use aluminum oxide as the abrasive. There is a strong tendency to embed the oxide into the surface of the softer aluminum base metal.

As for the dust, a connection between uncoated aluminum cookware and Alzheimer's Disease has been made. I have to believe aluminum dust could also be associated with the same disease. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-18-2017 20:04 Edited 09-18-2017 20:06
Beware Myths !

Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.

Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.asp

Is there a connection between aluminum and the development of dementia?

Aluminum has been studied for over 40 years as a substance that might be linked to dementia. However, there have been many conflicting findings.
•Some studies show increased levels of trace elements of aluminum in the brains of people with dementia, while others do not.
•Studies have not found an increased incidence of dementia in people with occupational exposure to aluminum.
•Tea is one of the few plants whose leaves accumulate larger trace element amounts of aluminum that can seep into the brewed beverage. However, there is no evidence that dementia is more prevalent in cultures that typically drink large amounts of tea.
•Unfortunately, earlier animal studies focused on one animal that is particularly susceptible to aluminum poisoning, which has led to incorrect conclusions about the general effects of aluminum on the body
http://www.alzheimer.ca/en/About-dementia/Alzheimer-s-disease/Risk-factors/Aluminum
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-19-2017 02:36
Good to know.

Learn something new every day.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Grinding Aluminum