Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 6G Certification
- - By Kangafox Date 09-19-2017 01:28
Hello everyone, I am a 2nd year welding student attending Mitchell Technical Institute. Our syllabus near the end of the semester calls for pipe welding in the 6G position, double bevel, CJP using a GTAW root and SMAW fill and cap using a WPS (AWS B2.1-1- 209-96) in accordance with D1.1. I do not have much experience with this procedure yet but I plan to get some practice with it soon. Also our second semester focuses on providing time to certify in any procedures we find would be most beneficial.

My question is whether or not a certification through AWS for this procedure would serve me well out in industry. I am most interested in a future in pipe welding, nothing specific yet just looking for a second opinion. Any replies will help!

Thank you.
-Joseph
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-19-2017 03:23
Go back to the books and look at the terminology. It is unlikely you are welding a pipe in the 6G position using a double bevel edge preparation.

Al
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-19-2017 11:42
The certification may get your foot in the door to do another test... This is a good thing.

But more important than the cert.. Is the ability to weld the pipe consistently every time :)

The GTAW/SMAW type procedure is used highly in a number if industries.    The SMAW root and fill is also valuable as is the GTAW root and fill....   To be well rounded you will in time learn them all most likely :)

Sounds like you have the right attitude.
- - By Kangafox Date 09-19-2017 22:32
Thank you all for the helpful replies. I also looked at the assignment again and it does say a double bevel. I will ask my instructor about that soon. Thanks again!

-Joseph
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-20-2017 11:08
Hi Joseph,
Yeah that double bevel may be tough to weld unless the pipe is large enough for you to get inside to weld the other side....LOL

Most likely it's supposed to be a single V groove so that you can weld it from the outside only.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-20-2017 13:24
It amazes me how many people call the V-groove a double bevel groove.

Scary to think some of those people are instructors preparing the next generation of welders.

On that subject, I had a welding instructor respond to the question, "What is in a full cylinder of oxygen?"

With this response, "Everyone knows it is just compressed air."

Of course that welding instructor didn't pass the CWI, but I'm sure he is still instructing welders. Scary stuff.

Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-20-2017 14:08
and...then if we are testing using a T,Y,K pipe joint without backing, it would be a single bevel joint. - just to add a little more confusion :cool:
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-20-2017 15:23
I frequently run into 3/8" fillet weld callout against the edge of a 1/4" piece.

jrw159
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-20-2017 21:45
Yep, just happened on one of my jobs.

Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 6G Certification