Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welder qual question for the new AWS D1.6 2017
- - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 09-21-2017 00:20
Hey all long time!, been busy working like a mad man.  Ran into a confusing statement in the new D1.6 or maybe it is just that obvious.  6.13.5 Reads -qualification established using any of the base metals listed in 1.4.1 or any metals listed in AWS D1.1 Group 1 and 2, shall be considered as qualification to weld any base metals listed in this code.  It goes on to say that base metals for testing can be substituted in accordance with this requirement.

So my question is, is this saying that I can use steel to qualify the welders? but run the 308LT1-1 we have on the WPS?

-J
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 09-21-2017 11:36
Hey Stranger! Good to hear from you.

I don't have a copy of D1.6 on hand to quote from, but remember peculiarities in this and D1.1 about this issue.

First we have to fully separate performance from procedure quals. The ultimate goal of a performance qual is for the Welder to demonstrate the equipment operation skills necessary to produce a compliant test plate. The test plate is only an example of what is to be seen in production.
Now this being said, CS and SS have very similar actual welding properties. Basically, if you can weld on one, you can weld on the other, often with the same or unmatching filler metal, and still produce welds compliant to non-destructive requirements. (I know, I know, not in every case, but just in general, especially with austenitics)
The end result of a poorly matched material and filler combination can range from cracking to accelrated corrision, etc.
However, in the case of a WPQR test plate, that doesn't matter as it's only scrap, especially when the option to accept through RT rather than bends is used. What matters is the Welders performance.
Now I figure that years ago, some guy or guys on the AWS committees had a problem with spending gobs of money interviewing/testing welders on high dollar material. They were then able to achieve cost reduction through allowing testing to be performed on similar rather than exact materials.

But... Pqr's and WPS's are a whole different story. These have to prove out the fatigue and corrosion resistant properties of the end product.

Tim
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 09-21-2017 20:08
Thanks Tim,

Yea it seemed like news to me.  I just got the new 2017 D1.6 and half the code book is underlined haha. Good to know to save the customer some money for sure!

-Jordan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-21-2017 22:18
ASME has permitted the same for years and years and years. It took a while for AWS to jump on the band wagon.

Having said that, I love to watch welders qualified with F4 try welding vertical uphill with E308-17! It's a hoot!

Al
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 09-26-2017 15:02
Yeah, the gleeful observation of others struggles and failures is so reinforcing to my self esteem.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welder qual question for the new AWS D1.6 2017